Community discussions

MikroTik App

Shaun
just joined
Topic Author

Radius - Accounting for Total Usage

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 am

Good morning Mikrotikers.

I suspect this might be something ridiculously simple that I'm missing, thus my question here.

We are currently making use of Routerboard 750's to split Internet access.

1 Ports is basically "open" for full no restriction access to the WAN interface.

The other is running a Hotspot, which is authenticating through our FreeBSD Freeradius server sitting elsewhere.

Now what we've done thus far is simply substract Hotspot usage from total usage for the given IP address assigned to that Mikrotik, and then billing the customer accordingly. This has worked reasonably well thus far, but is naturally not a perfect solution.

Now I'm looking for other options...ideal scenarios in order of priority being.

1. Having the Radius server track ALL data passed by the Mikrotik, on both the Open Ethernet port and Hotspot Ethernet port.

2. Failing that, setting up some sort of logging so that I can pull a report from the Mikrotik, or even better have it email one on a daily or monthly basis.

3. Any other ideas you might recommend?

Thanks in advance.

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Radius - Accounting for Total Usage

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi,

what technology is the WAN port? Can you use pppoe to log usage for the customer, and then perhaps just direct ethernet traffic for the hotspot? if you manage the connection that the WAN is connected to, perhaps you can use VLAN to seperate the customer and hotspot traffic.

Cheers!

Shaun
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi,

what technology is the WAN port? Can you use pppoe to log usage for the customer, and then perhaps just direct ethernet traffic for the hotspot? if you manage the connection that the WAN is connected to, perhaps you can use VLAN to seperate the customer and hotspot traffic.

Cheers!
Unfortunately the WAN is a low-speed variable interface that we don't control.

I see Radius Accounting options everywhere, but have no idea if these are Hotspot only relevant, or how exactly to make use of them.

We already have the Radius server in place, and would love to track everything through that if at all possible.

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 pm

[quote="Shaun"]Unfortunately the WAN is a low-speed variable interface that we don't control.

I see Radius Accounting options everywhere, but have no idea if these are Hotspot only relevant, or how exactly to make use of them.

We already have the Radius server in place, and would love to track everything through that if at all possible.[/quote]

Radius can also be used for PPP sessions, dhcp, 802.1x, WPA/2 and not just hotspot!

If you don't control the WAN, then maybe consider using pppoe server on ether1 and let the customer use a broadband modem (even another mikrotik 750 or such) to initiate their ppp session.

Cheers! Mike.

Shaun
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Unfortunately the WAN is a low-speed variable interface that we don't control.

We already have the Radius server in place, and would love to track everything through that if at all possible.
Radius can also be used for PPP sessions, dhcp, 802.1x, WPA/2 and not just hotspot!

If you don't control the WAN, then maybe consider using pppoe server on ether1 and let the customer use a broadband modem (even another mikrotik 750 or such) to initiate their ppp session.

Cheers! Mike.
You mention DHCP, but that would require an external DHCP server surely?

Is there any way I could configure Mikrotik with Radius to Log data usage for Ethernet 5 for instance, without users needing to do anything like login or provide details.