MikroTik App

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Rate Limit and Shared Users

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi,

I want to create a user profile with a rate limit of 2048k and 3 shared users for each login name. If all three shared users download at the same time, then I don't want their collective download rate to exceed 2048k. Is this possible?

I've tried it, but when I monitor the active users in Winbox I see that the three users are collectively using more than 2048k. I.e. Those 3 shared users are using 3 x 2048k, not 2048k altogether. How do I fix this?

Many thanks,

Gareth

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Rate Limit and Shared Users

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:16 pm

How are you rate limiting them?

The basic idea would be to apply the same packet marks to those three guys so that all packets from them and to them have that mark. Then make a queue with a 2048Kbps limit that fires for all packets with that mark.

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:31 pm

I created a user profile called 'std-users' with a rate limit of 2048k and a maximum of 3 shared users. Then, in the user manager, I created a login name and set it's 'group' field to 'std-users'.

Is this not the correct way of doing it?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:47 pm

Sorry, I don't use User Manager and don't know much about it.

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:14 pm

That's OK, I'll give your suggestion about packet marks a try. Will let you know how that turns out.

Thanks!

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:29 am

OK, so I created a user profile for the 3 users who share the same login name and I changed the incoming and outgoing packet marks, for that profile, to "rate_test_mark". This created two dynamic mangle rules to add the packet marks to the packets. I also assigned the new profile to the login name. Then I created a simple queue rule to limit packets with the "rate_test_mark" packet mark to 2048k.

The problem is this, the packet marks are not being added and so the queue rule doesn't have any packets to apply the limit to. Have I done something wrong?