Community discussions

MikroTik App

maxrate
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Metarouter RB1100 trunk VLAN - DHCP but no ping

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:14 am

Hi everyone, this will take a little to explain. I'm trying to clean up the mess of routers on my rack. I have several virtual servers running on Microsoft Hyper-V. I have a trunk Ethernet cable coming out of the server that I want to connect to my RB1100. I set up a series of VLANs (101, 102, 103, etc) for each one of the virtual servers. Each virtual server are for customers - so I want to keep the networks private (customers VPN into their machines by Mikrotik PPTP server).

Each one of the VLAN's will terminate to a private metarouter. I have a vanilla instance of 2008 64 server running on VLAN 103. If I connect a RouterBoard (RB532A)with a DHCP server running on VLAN 103 to the Hyper-V server, the guest OS gets an IP and the guest OS can ping the IP (good).

If I do the same with my metaRouter instance (on the RB1100), the guest OS obtains and binds to the issued IP, but it can't ping. Funny thing is, this happens only with this particular instance of the Metarouter (assigned to VLAN103), not with the other Metarouter (on VLAN101) for the other guest OS. Very strange to me.

I have tried changing VLAN ID's in Hyper-V and I have rebooted the server. Due to the process of elimination, I have determined the trouble is not with Hyper-V, but with my metarouter. The metarouter has a very simple configuration. I have played around with proxy-arp and arp-enabled, but I continue to have the issue. Again, I have another metarouter connecting on VLAN101 to a series of hyper-v guests, and it works properly.

Not certain, just looking for any common things to try/feedback. Running ROS4.10 - lots of memory, low CPU utilization. Each metarouter has a very basic configuration: /30 public IP on one interface, and a /24 private IP on the LAN interface. The public interface terminated to a VIR interface on the Routerboard 1100, and the private LAN interface terminates to a VLAN interface on an Ethernet interface of the RB1100 (the 'trunk' port going directly to the trunk port on the Hyper-V server). Each metarouter gives out a 10.x.x.x address and performs basic NAT and DHCP - nothing fancy for the time being.

I have carefully compared settings in the Host OS between each VLAN instance, and other than the VLAN ID, I believe the configuration to match with the working configuration. Again, I verified this by plugging a 'real' router into the trunk interface opposed to a Metarouter, and the ping test passed.

Thanks in advance :o