Well, MT. Thank you very much!
After a week almost trying to save my business I find now this bootloader bug has probably caused all my misery!
I have this rb1000 as my 210 clients border router connecting to 3 adsl lines and one fibre with client shaping.
Since this rb1000 still has the unsolved (by MT!) issue of random malfuncioning of ehterports I decided to finally put ros4.14 on it in the hope that this "stable" version is doing better in that issue.
After the upgrade I found my ntp package missing for the time server. So uploaded that separate (is not included in the npk package) and rebooted my most important unit of my net....
That is when disaster struck!
It took me two hours in the middle of the night in a freezing remote location to find out my complete system was erased!!
And then it took me an hour to realize that everytime when I made IP level access to the router and rebooted it all settings were yet again gone....
I decided to replace the rb1000 by another one, completely unconfigured! Running 4.11.
I decided not to upgrade this one and I also decided not to use a 3 month old backup since my network was basically completely rebuild in the last weeks anyway due another issue.
Meaning I had to write the complete new config of this rb1000 which costed me together with a second guy 6 hours just to get clients internet access back again with their subscribed limitations.
Spend the rest of the week to finish the config and troubleshoot issue again since all had to be done out of my head! (Fail over, firewall filter, mangle, QoS, Policy routing etc. etc.)
This was the last time I trust a "stable" version to be stable unless proven by many others it is....