Community discussions

MikroTik App

skachy
just joined
Topic Author

routerboard behing the adsl modem in bridge mode

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Hello

I need to put my routerboard behind the adsl modem in bridge mode. I have set the eth-1 - gateway as dhcp client as we do not have a public ip and then NAT - masquerade for eth-2. Is there anything else I have to do ? Because the modem is set to bridge right, but routerboard does not get any ip on eht-1 and on client computers internet is dead.

thank you so much for any answer

Jakub

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: routerboard behing the adsl modem in bridge mode

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Placing your modem into bridging mode will mean it is the responsibility of the Mikrotik to authenticate as well as get an IP. If the protocol of your ADSL provider is PPoA, you are out of luck. If your provider uses PPoE, then it will work by setting up a PPoE client on the Mikrotik and not a DHCP client.

You could also try placing the ADSL modem into 'half bridge' mode, where the modem does the PPoA authentication and you then get the public IP given to you by your ISP bridged across to the modem's ether interface.

We use a simpler method, an ADSL modem that performs the ADSL interfacing, but also translates the PPoA into PPoE. Therefore it is very easy to setup as the Mikrotik does the authentication as PPoE, and the Mikrotik's PPoE interface then gets the Public IPs.

skachy
just joined
Topic Author

Re: routerboard behing the adsl modem in bridge mode

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Placing your modem into bridging mode will mean it is the responsibility of the Mikrotik to authenticate as well as get an IP. If the protocol of your ADSL provider is PPoA, you are out of luck. If your provider uses PPoE, then it will work by setting up a PPoE client on the Mikrotik and not a DHCP client.

You could also try placing the ADSL modem into 'half bridge' mode, where the modem does the PPoA authentication and you then get the public IP given to you by your ISP bridged across to the modem's ether interface.

We use a simpler method, an ADSL modem that performs the ADSL interfacing, but also translates the PPoA into PPoE. Therefore it is very easy to setup as the Mikrotik does the authentication as PPoE, and the Mikrotik's PPoE interface then gets the Public IPs.

nest - you are great, thank you for the explanation. It sounds right, I will look for the PPPoE authentication and then it should work fine.

THANKS !

Jakub