Community discussions

MikroTik App

xphat
just joined
Topic Author

Installing Mikrotik on Dell Poweredge 2850

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:27 am

Hello,

I'm trying to install Mikrotik on the Above Mentioned Server, However Its not detecting the Hard drives, I'm trying to install using the ISO Burned to a CD.

Just want to know if its possible on this hardware, or if there is another way to install that im not aware of.

Thnx.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Installing Mikrotik on Dell Poweredge 2850

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:51 pm

I see your system uses SCSI disk, it could be the problem.
Currently we support just few of them,
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... .2FRAID.29

rower

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:38 am

i've used to boot from USB stick on this server. worked quite nicely :)

and if you really do not need disc (storing logs? cache?), why use SCSI anyways ? for any other thing a cheap 1-2G USB flash seems to be more than enough.

webethical
just joined

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:43 pm

hi,

trying to install on a Dell Poweredge 1850 SCSI, it tells: FATAL ERROR: no hard drives found

any workaround?

(ok, i have it with a double 73 SCSI3 HD, it seems stupid to me using a memory stick instead :-D .. at least I have to try to make it work!)

rower

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 am

hi,

trying to install on a Dell Poweredge 1850 SCSI, it tells: FATAL ERROR: no hard drives found

any workaround?

(ok, i have it with a double 73 SCSI3 HD, it seems stupid to me using a memory stick instead :-D .. at least I have to try to make it work!)
it still seems, that MT has made no SCSI support for ROS. if system doesn't see your SCSI adapter - i'm afraid, there is not much to do. and licence is bound to the media, anyways, not sure, how that will work out on SCSI (especially with mirroring).

what i'd do (and actually i am doing) - still use USB stick (or better, "microstick" - which does not stick much out of the slot). 8G in my case. however, some advice -
0) test the flash in different machines - use /system licence print (works even without licence). in some rare cases with cheap manufacturers i've seen that system software ID changes. even on the same machine within same powercycle (i was p***ed as hell, when one of my flashes "worked" that way). if it's your case - the flash is unusable. licence binds to this hardware, and is dependant on software ID. if that thing changes, licence is lost.
1) despite of having really large storage (gigs for sytem, that uses some 50M) - do not use the device itself for storing graphs and/or cache. in a year or so it seems to wear out so much, that there will be some inevitable glitches - in my case - modules dying out and hangups. while if you do not write to that meda much (loging alone seems to be more or less OK), then it works rock-solid (still using 5.23 on my main BGP&shaping/FW router...).

have fun!