Community discussions

MikroTik App

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Router hangs or slow down!! please HELP!!

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:51 am

Hello, I manage an hotel hotspot which have a basic configuration:

ppoe dsl--->mikrotik RB750 fw 4.16--->a few APs wired to the mikrotik.

hotspot was configured using the wizard on winbox, and I use external AAA radius auth.

Well I configured the mikrotik as hotspot (which is installed on office), it works perfectly with around 22 clients or less.
Having more than 22 clients starts slowing down and webpages are not displayed, sometimes the mikrotik hangs and need to reboot it, then it works again until same happens.

Checked the resources and processor is always less than 25% and memory is around 50% free.

Since my goal is to handle around 50 clients at the same time. Can the problem be related to improper hardware (mikrotik).

I have another mikrotik RB750G with a faster processor, may be this enough?

Thank you in advice

vic_s
just joined

Re: Router hangs or slow down!! please HELP!!

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:33 am

I had the same problem.

I didn't solve it yet, but i im thinking that i am not going to buy another RB750G.

Myron
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 am

Hello, I manage an hotel hotspot which have a basic configuration:

ppoe dsl--->mikrotik RB750 fw 4.16--->a few APs wired to the mikrotik.

hotspot was configured using the wizard on winbox, and I use external AAA radius auth.

Well I configured the mikrotik as hotspot (which is installed on office), it works perfectly with around 22 clients or less.
Having more than 22 clients starts slowing down and webpages are not displayed, sometimes the mikrotik hangs and need to reboot it, then it works again until same happens.

Checked the resources and processor is always less than 25% and memory is around 50% free.

Since my goal is to handle around 50 clients at the same time. Can the problem be related to improper hardware (mikrotik).

I have another mikrotik RB750G with a faster processor, may be this enough?

Thank you in advice
If your not satisfied in junky one why not try to upgrade more faster processor like rb450g, actually i have my rb750 before and we have same problem its very strange suddenly stops the only way solution is to reboot to solve the issue, and now im using rb450g and works without issue.

hope this helps

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Hello, thank you for your help, I fixed with the same hardware, but instead of SFQ (creating a queue for each host when log in) (this method is used by default when you set up the hotspot from the wizard).

Fix it this way:

-Dont set or remove any bandwidth speed for hotspot users.
-Create a PCQ rule to equally distribute bandwidth.

This way the cpu gets more relaxed and that way you will have no hangups!!!

Fixed and tested in 3 different hotels, all them are working flawlessly now!