Community discussions

MikroTik App

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Router (411, Rb711, 433) will not reboot?

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:31 pm

I have an old dell laptop (C400) that has winXP which i use for installs and have noticed a issue when using this laptop, it will not allow any routerboard to reboot (711,411,433) winbox says router is disconnected but a ping -t says ip connection stills remains and somehow this ip connection is not allowing a reboot?

Ok i am not concerned about the laptop as there is a bigger issue here, i would have thought when a reboot was selected it take whatever steps are necessary to complete this task but somehow this laptop (or thinking about this it could have been another device on the network) could cause issue a like this?
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Router (411, Rb711, 433) will not reboot?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:32 am

laptop can't be at fault. if winbox said "router is disconnected", it means the connection was physically lost. maybe it rebooted real quickly? check what the RouterOS log says.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 pm

laptop can't be at fault. if winbox said "router is disconnected", it means the connection was physically lost. maybe it rebooted real quickly? check what the RouterOS log says.
No incorrect as the continous ping (-t) to test for IP connection the router(s) 711,411,433 never dropped and when trying to upgrade reboot several rb711 from 4.13 and 4.15 to 4.16 each time winbox after saying "router is disconnected" would display original version 4.13 or 4.15 so the upgrade was not completed,

But if i use another laptop and using ping (-t) to monitor ip connection, ping as normal was lost during reboot and re-established and upgrade was sucessful?
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:03 am

so what does the log say then?
No answer to your question? How to write posts

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 am

One screen shot using another laptop had no problem with router reboot and from the log has pppoe terminating, wireless debug and available AP's and pppoe dialing and connection but the other screen shot from the old laptop has logged in and out and no pppoe termination or reconnection?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Bump -
Can i ask if this laptop will not allow a reboot for upgrades to any routerboard directly connected i have tried, then it follows what other issues could a device also directly connected to routerboard cause ???
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:45 pm

It's a been a few months since I last visited this topic but recent network issues has made me recall this issue and the fact remains if a device connected to Mikrotik can prevent a routerboard system function like a simple reboot even though winbox prompts with the normal “router has been disconnected” at the start of reboot cycle and you open winbox (which re-opens instantly normally it would take a minute or longer before router is accessible during a reboot or upgrade reboot cycle?) the function has not completed for example if I had in system packages selected one for uninstall the list would still say “scheduled for disabled” or in files section an a new OS files will still be present and router would not have upgraded,
the logs do not show the incorrect time as is usual when upgrading until the ntp client gets it's time sync from server, etc.

Now as previously mentioned I am not concerned about the connected device, in this case a very old laptop but why does this device prevent MT from performing such action and what else could a connected device effect MT boards, I have done all the normal tcp/ip and chkdsk repairs to this laptop which have found nothing and has no problem getting a ip address from any connected MT board with dhcp server and firewall is disabled but even if there is some corruption or ethernet connectivity issue on this laptop why won't any connected routerboard in my case reboot?

Now maybe MT may not have able to reproduce such a issue so I am willing to send this laptop to MT to diagnose why this could happen to every router board connected to it.
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?