MikroTik App

gmeden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Advent of Full Duplex WiFi

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Hello to all...
I run a smallish wisp and I'm beginning to encounter a situation that is not uncommon in this field. That being throughput and latency. Now most are aware that wifi is half duplex. A radio can't transmit and receive simultaneously. Mikrotik has several examples of how this could be accomplished but would require 2 radios (not a problem) and 2 antenna. In my situation I have a central tower with six transmitters pointing 6 different directions. To make all these full duplex is not plausible due to wind loading effects of all the antenna I would need to add.
I just finished an email exchange with a guy from Laird technologies , an antenna design/manufacturer firm explaining the situation and suggested that he ask Laird R&D about the feasibility of a dual element single band (5.8Mhz) antenna design for long distance PtP links. I come away from this exchange with the feeling I just got brushed off. This was his final reply:

The truth is "the whole wifi industry" is not really looking for what you are asking for here. We build antennas that are in demand. Engineering time costs money so we try to build those antennas that have the best chance to survive in the market place. Your idea is valid....just not a popular one.

Making wifi full duplex ,doubling throughput , halving latency....not popular...
this guy sounds more like a politician than a forward thinking tech source.

Am I off the mark here...what are your thoughts...after all this is for yours and my benefit.. please reply with your comments..