MikroTik App

Nutcracker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

IP Accounting with IPv6

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:40 am

Hi there

I would just like to know whether anyone has used IP Accounting with IPv6? From what I read, RouterOS 5 beta doesn't have support for this, but is some what concerning, as our entire network's billing run on it. IP Flow is not an option for us as we can not afford any accounting to go missing and due to the nature of IP Flow, wireless is not a good platform for it.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks

shade

Re: IP Accounting with IPv6

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Mikrotik 5.0rc5 can send NetFlow v9 with IPv6, I can collect it with flowd, but I cannot find billing with IPv6 accounting for production use at small ISP .

Only NetFlow v9 supports IPv6, previous versions like v5 doesn't
Нерешаемых проблем нет — есть проблемы, которые никто не решает

Nutcracker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 am

I am sure that it can't be that big a request to have IP Accounting having support for IPv6. We do not need all the extra information that Netflow/IP Flow/Traffic Flow provides. We simply require the source address, destination address and bytes transmitted. We don't even need the amount of packets transmitted. The problem with Netflow is that there is a lot of information that needs to be processed. This means that you have to beef up your accounting servers, never mind redoing the accounting system that has been custom build around IP accounting.

pacman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:31 pm

I too could really do with IPv6 support for IP accounting. We have existing systems set up and running that extract the IPv4 data and manage our customers on the basis of the GB per month they consume. I would like to start offering IPv6 on my network but cannot do so if I have no way of capturing usage.

Is this something being planned?
Loop Scorpio Ltd
providers of rural broadband