MUM Europe 2020

brainy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB1100 crashing/freeze when disconnecting cable from ether13

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi there,

we are using ether13 on a RB1100 for local Management. It just has a ip address and a dhcp-server configured. My colleague connected his laptop to the port and everything was ok. Then later he disconnected the cable and after some time the whole box was freezing (serial console was also dead!).

We then replaced the whole box by a new one (we thought that it might be a hardware problem) .. he had his laptop connected for 40 mins and everything was fine .. then he disconnected it and it crashed again.

I know that ether13 is labeld with "PoE / Boot" but we thought that it would be ok to use it (while normal power is connected via the internal power supply).

One time i saw cpu going to 100% after he disconnected his cable from the port ... i disabled / enable ether13 and CPU usage went back to normal and it didn't crash!

Maybe a driver problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,
Joerg

burkon

Re: RB1100 crashing/freeze when disconnecting cable from eth

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Just tested this in the LAB again. It is fully reproducable.

Notebook connected at ether13 after unplugging the notebook the
RB1100 freezes after 30 to 60 seconds completely.

Anyone any idea?

Cheers
Ekkehard

stretch
just joined

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi,

it doesn't only happen with port 13, port 11 and 12 are the same. I had that trouble before but i thought that it could be faulty memory that i used or dodgy firmware. Now i have tried ROS 4.16 and original memory and it still happens.

I have no fix for it.

Stretch

ropebih
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:21 am

I have same problem and I didn't find solution yet.

brainy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:54 am

MT Support told us that they can not reproduce it ... we sent in a supout.rif from a router with standard-config (after reset-configuration) ...

sometimes the box is not crashing but using 100% CPU

brainy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 pm

This is really annoying ... i hope MT is able to fix that by software/firmware update ... so we can not use 1100 as planned in a production environment ... damn :(

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:21 am

Mine doesn't crash, but link on 11,12,13 doesn't stay up. Ever. It flops ever 5ish minutes. Been waiting 6 months on a fix.

smurphy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:51 am

I have the same issue, however nailed it down to one device -> my Philips Skype phone.
All other devices work fine - if I unplug that one - and plug it back in - all connectivity goes - and sometimes it reboots the router.
Note this is also valid - if I reboot the base station (power cycle).
The Network-Lock/reboot happened on a RB493AH and still happen on a RB493g (the AH had a ethernet port issue / broken, hence I replaced it).

Dataphd
just joined

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Just got and installed a RB1100, and have found the same issues....

Anytime something is disconnected from ports 11-13 the rb1100 crashes and the only way to recover is by rebooting.

Has there been any word from MT as to a solution for this?

I was using port 13 to connect a laptop for administration and when done disconnect then finding out the RB was locked up and crashed.

I wish I would have found these posts regarding the crashing with ports and also the performance issues before making my purchase. I had read a while back how great this box was going to be and ordered one, that ended up back ordered. It finally showed up and I got it installed and now I find all these issues are posted....

I guess if this isn't solved soon I will be going to another solution. Its bad when the manufacture is aware of a problem like this and still continues to sell the product without notifying the purchaser that there is a problem like this one.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Just got and installed a RB1100, and have found the same issues....

Anytime something is disconnected from ports 11-13 the rb1100 crashes and the only way to recover is by rebooting.

Has there been any word from MT as to a solution for this?

I was using port 13 to connect a laptop for administration and when done disconnect then finding out the RB was locked up and crashed.

I wish I would have found these posts regarding the crashing with ports and also the performance issues before making my purchase. I had read a while back how great this box was going to be and ordered one, that ended up back ordered. It finally showed up and I got it installed and now I find all these issues are posted....

I guess if this isn't solved soon I will be going to another solution. Its bad when the manufacture is aware of a problem like this and still continues to sell the product without notifying the purchaser that there is a problem like this one.

They cant reproduce it.

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:18 am

Problem with RB1100 crashing/freeze after link down on ether11-ether13 is fixed in v5.0rc9. Please upgrade.

brainy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 am

I hope that it will get fixed in 4.x also since we have a lot of RB1100 in production environments and we are not willing to use a development version there ...