Community discussions

mwarren77
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwidth Monitoring Per Ip / Per Subnet

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

We are currently using a Mikrotik server for routing and some firewalling. Each Subscriber on each AP on Each Tower has it's own /24. Example Tower A has 6 AP's subnets for the tower would be 1.x,2.x,3.x,.4.x, 5.x, 6.x .. There also are towers that are fed from these towers. We refer to this as a leg (the 3 towers).

I have a queue setup per static ip currently which allows me to monitor the bandwidth and rate limit the users (rate limiting is done on the SM side and the router).

My vision is to add a simple queue for:
A) the subnet to monitor/limit the AP traffic
B) the range of subnets to monitor/limit the tower traffic
c) the range of subnets to monitor the leg traffic

I am probably using a poor choice of wording saying monitor as I am referring to graphing and stats. What I want to accomplish is to be able to limit the download rate per user,per ap and per tower if needed as well as see all the usages.

It seems to work for limiting after I add subsequential queues (including time of day queues) however the graphing and stats stop working. Is there another way to do this or something I am missing?

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bandwidth Monitoring Per Ip / Per Subnet

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Look into NetFlows/Traffic Flow for the monitoring and record keeping part of your configuration, you could also use SNMP to get bandwidth usage totals for the router. Using simple queues is going to be a waste of router resources for this purpose, and is not a very good or stable choice for monitoring and recording bandwidth consumption. Should the device ever need to be rebooted, there is a very good chance of you loosing all historical data.

Depending on how you wanted to approach bandwidth limiting there are a few ways to go about it, and you are going to have to decide what is going to be the best one for you. Your best choices however are probably going to be moving away from simple queues and to queue trees for what you want. Simple queues are, as their name implies, simple. You don't get much fine control with them or the ability to assign sub queues, and define over all rate limits for a set of queues, which is what you sound like you want to do. As soon as a packet matches a simple queue, it fires and it is no longer processed by those simple queues.

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Hello all,
I need to have this setup for my lan users. I have MT server with 3 ether interface. Ether1 is for my isp which they gave me 2mb/2mb.

Lan users (ether3) with static ip range of 192.168.30.1 and hotspot in ether2 with dhcp.

I want a way to allocate bandwdith to each ip in ther ether3 subnet in such a way that 192.168.30.10 will get 256k/256, 192.168.30.11, will get 512k/512k in that other.

I need a detailed configurations using queue or mangle for it. Please fewi and serji your attention is needed here.

Thanks

mwarren77
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:13 am

I would personally use the simple queue - Under Name - give the queue a name, Target address: 192.168.30.10 (or which ever address you will use), Target Upload/Download Check those boxes and enter 256k (or desired speed) in the boxes below. Advanced tab make sure you put Interface: to All and then hit OK.

Hope this helps

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks mwarren77,
That setup you suggested if for the whole subnet or address range. I want the queue to be per ip, in such a way that easy ip gets such allocated bandwidth.

Thanks.

But I need a detail setup with explanations

mwarren77
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:33 am

You do one simple queue per IP. This will set the end users target speed to be the speed you set in the queue setup. With this setup you can view the total usage by clicking the stats tab and configure your graphing (tools/graphing/queue graphs) to view the history of the end user usage.

If you need more info I will be glad to help but kinda give me more on what else your looking for as this completly answers how to set it up. Another way may also be on the end user side depending on the type of equipment being used. I lock down both ends - CPE and AP. What kind of CPE will they use?

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:53 am

You do one simple queue per IP. This will set the end users target speed to be the speed you set in the queue setup. With this setup you can view the total usage by clicking the stats tab and configure your graphing (tools/graphing/queue graphs) to view the history of the end user usage. ?
How do you set the simple queue? Do try and help setup the queue or give me the idea on it, i have not tried queue before. My ether3 that will assign the queue are,
192.168.30.10 = 256k/256k
192.168.30.11 = 512k/512k
192.168.30.12 = 128k/128k
192.168.30.13 = 128k/128k
If you need more info I will be glad to help but kinda give me more on what else your looking for as this completly answers how to set it up. Another way may also be on the end user side depending on the type of equipment being used. I lock down both ends - CPE and AP. What kind of CPE will they use?
The end users are for both http,p2p and others no voip. The cpe they are using are not mikrotik but just different cpes from many manufacturers, mostly 2.4Ghz equipment. I will be most greateful if i get this solution as timely as possible.

mwarren77
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:02 am

To make a simple queue to limit speeds in Mikrotik and monitor bandwidth;
Using Winbox: - Assuming it is open and logged in.
Left hand side navigation you will see "Queues". Click on it.
In the window that popped up click the Red Plus sign:
Put 192.168.30.10 in the "Target Address"
Check the two checkboxes "Target Upload" and "Target Download"
In both "Max Limit" fields put 256k
Hit the OK button.

You will need to do a similiar setup on each IP/speed. I recommend putting the customers name in the name field.

If you are using the terminal window type the following;
queue simple add name=myuser1 target-addresses=192.168.30.10 max-limit=256k/256k
queue simple add name=myuser2 target-addresses=192.168.30.11 max-limit=512k/512k
queue simple add name=myuser3 target-addresses=192.168.30.12 max-limit=128k/128k
queue simple add name=myuser4 target-addresses=192.168.30.13 max-limit=128k/128k

Matthew
www.wispwatch.com

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:25 am

thanks mwarren77,
I will implement it and give you feedback on the issue while the stuff is in use.

Thanks