Community discussions

nrp1978
just joined
Topic Author

Setting up a wirless internet conection between 2 points

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 pm

I am trying to figure out how to set up my two 411r with the 5ghz antenna on them to take internet from a netgear router and then beam it from one 411r into the other one over a range of about 200 yards and then have the other 411r go into another netgear wifi router to have internet in both locations

I am not sure what settings I need to use and set on the routerboards. I have winbox and can log onto the routerboards

I am new at this and really need detailed instructions. any help would be much appreciated.

Netgear (a)-> Routerboard 411r (a) --------------> Routerboard 411r (b) ->Netgear (b)

Thank you

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Setting up a wirless internet conection between 2 points

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:39 pm

hello
Use this link it will guide you
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2. ... reless.php

or Follow these steps
Step 1
Click on new terminal, type “system reset” at the prompt. It will ask you if you are sure. Type “y”.
Step 2
Once the board has been set to default settings and is booted up, click on Wireless , right-click on your wireless interface and choose Enable.
Step 3
Click on IP->Addresses and delete the default IP address.
Step 4
Click on Bridge and add a bridge. Give your bridge a name and enable STP. Under the Ports tab, add your wireless and your Ethernet ports to the bridge you just created. Click Apply and OK.
Note: First Add the wireless to the bridge before the Ether interface.
Step 5
Click on IP -> Addresses and add an IP address. Apply it to your bridge interface. It doesn’t need to be in the same range as the two networks that you are bridging, as it will only create a virtual bridge.
Step 6
Click on Wireless, and double click on your wireless interface. Select the Wireless tab at the top. On your first unit the mode will be bridge and on your second unit it will be station WDS. Both SSID’s and the channels should be the same. Click on the WDS tab. Set the mode to dynamic and the interface to the bridge that you created. Reboot both units and they should connect automatically.

You can ping both with the ip assigned to them, they will reply.

Then on the netgear router, just add the ip range of the 1st router to the 2nd router,it will start browsing.

Goodluck