Community discussions

MikroTik App

lziegenhals
just joined
Topic Author

5.0rc8 IPv6 packets over IPv4 IPsec tunnel

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 pm

I installed 5.0rc8 yesterday hoping to take advantage of the new IPv6 support for IPsec. However, I was disappointed to discover that the router will not let me configure an IPsec tunnel policy where the source and destination addresses are IPv6 and the endpoints are IPv4. When I attempt to configure that I get an error "Couldn't add New IPsec Policy - policy and sa endpoint address family must match (6)".

Currently I do not have native IPv6 at my house. I have a IPsec tunnel configured between my house and my office, and I have a 6in4 tunnel configured on top of the IPsec tunnel. That works, but incurs the overhead of an additional IPv4 header for the tunnel which would not be necessary if I could carry the IPv6 traffic directly on top of a IPv4 ESP IPsec tunnel.

I can configure this on a Linux endpoint (e.g., using setkey and raccoon on Debian), so I'm wondering if you would consider adding that ability in RouterOS.

Thanks,
Lee

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: 5.0rc8 IPv6 packets over IPv4 IPsec tunnel

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 am

I just to a 6in4 tunnel over ipip ipsec.

Have tunnels going to 5 locations that way. Works great.

I wouldnt think ipv6 over ipv4 IPSEC would work. It tunnels ipv4, it doesnt transform ipv6 into ipv4.

hedele

Re: 5.0rc8 IPv6 packets over IPv4 IPsec tunnel

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:43 am

transform ipv6 into ipv4.
Well, of course it does, it essentially sticks an IPv4 Header in front of the IPv6 packet, and off it goes (also over IPSECv4)...