Community discussions

MikroTik App

palmczak
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mikrotik Quality Suffering

Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:58 am

After a lovely 4 hour trip to Mikrotik HELL, I am not happy.

Tonight I attempted to upgrade my 2.9 router to 2.9.5. NEEDLESS TO SAY THE UPGRADE FAILED. THE ONLY ACCESS TO THE ROUTER WAS WITH A MONITOR AND KEYBOARD PLUGGED DIREECTLY IN!

The router appears fully functional however no traffic passes. It will not reply to a ping, nor can it ping anything. The log states "broken package system error" however all packages list 2.9.5.

WHY Can't the upgrade procedure verify the package is intact before upgading??????

I now attempt to reflash the DOM. TO no avail the refalshed DOM will not boot with a corrupt file system error. I tried several times to no avail.

I think the MT upgrade procedure SUCKS. First the 2.9x prism fiasco now this BS.

OH by the way I was able to create the F*&^in suppout file but could not find any way to get it off the DAMN box! lots of good that will do.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:09 am

I now attempt to reflash the DOM. TO no avail the refalshed DOM will not boot with a corrupt file system error. I tried several times to no avail.
I don't know the full extent of the problem, but possibly you have a bad flash module and its just now showing its ugly head? If you can't low level format or reimage it then its most likely a bad flash module and not the fault of the OS. Just a wild guess - could be wrong.

Sam

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:56 am

I've had problems doing upgrades between the later 2.9 releases up to 2.9.5
In some cases, terminal access and a fresh PXE boot was the only way out.
Don't necessarily blame the flash - IMHO there are a few gremlins in upgrading recent versions.
Regards

palmczak
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:34 pm

3 CF modules and 2 ide/cf adapters, and all report corrupt. BS I think.

the 2.9.x upgrade process is dangerous! The box in question was nothing more thatn a transparent shaper. 2 interfaces bridged with lots of queues.

Joe

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:38 pm

I guess with that you can rule out bad flash or adapters : ) Maybe a low level format but you might lose your license at that point ... hmmm.

Sam

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:51 am

I mostly use HD, (some flash), but I have had NO issues wirh 2.9X upgrades.. (I have been on 2.9x Since B3) I have not had an issue...

The mode depandable way I have found to Xfer the files is via (Dare I say it here) DOS (CMD window from XP)

The DOS FTP procedure has never failed me.. (Winbox copy I wont use...)

The procedure is not hard and does not take any more time..

IMHO....

Craig

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:54 am

WinBox copy? Never seen how that works. We always stay away from IE as an ftp client and either use DOS or LeechFTP... never had any problems thru each revision thats released.

Sam

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:03 am

Yeh..
I found that if you open up the all packages folder and select all items, select copy (to clipboard) that you can "past them" into the file window of winbox. (copys the files for you.) I am NOT a fan of this as it has caused bax Xfers from time to time..

I just like DOS.. I know "Dirty word"... :lol:

Craig

palmczak
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:12 am

For the record the files were ftp'd from my laptop running Suse 9.1 pro using the native ftp client.

I guess I wish a few more were safeguards in place. I had no way to know the package was bad, damaged, corupt, etc. It would have been really great to had been able to revert back to the old image. Something, anything. Even a way to verify the package before rebooting into MIKROTIK HELL.

Also how is the best way to low level a cf, I ahve done a few searches but not turned up any good results.

Joe

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:34 pm

Is there a chance the files were transferred in ASCII mode?

I always SCP the files over for an upgrade.

-=Russ=-

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:18 pm

Not sure if this applies, but...

I've noticed that if you install MT OS on a flash card from one platform, then move it to a different board (different brand), it'll work fine until you upgrade it. Once upgraded, it'll no longer boot. I'm assuming this is because different BIOSs see the flash's geometry differently and for whatever reason the upgrade breaks where the boot record should be. Are you installing then booting from one device, then relocating the flash/DOM to a different hardware platform?