Community discussions

MikroTik App

ripwinder
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE public IP example

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi,

Can anyone please give me an example of how to setup PPPOE with public IP (no NAT) but give the example using private IP range?

Basically I have been trying to implement PPPoE in our core to serve our DSL customers however I just cannot get the public IP's to route through. To go back a bit I have taken our new router home and now trying to recreate with private IP range but still cannot.

I have a router at home with 192.168.2.0/28 with Default GW of 192.168.2.1. I assigned 192.168.2.60 to ether1 on the Mikrotik and create IP pool 192.168.2.63-192.168.2.69. I get an IP from the pool but just cannot access the internet. I created a route of 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.2.1 and setup DNS. I have stripped back the PPPoE setup to just use local rather than usermanager.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RW.

ripwinder
just joined
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE public IP example

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Never mind i figured it out. Need to proxy arp on both interfaces as well as change MTU for PPPoE Headers. Would like to look at using OSPF instead of proxy arp though.

Cheers,

RW.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Yeah, proxy ARP is ugly. All you'd need is for the outside world to know the IP pool is behind your router - proxy ARP works by pretending it is in front of your router. Usually this is done with routed space, where whoever connects to your router (your ISP) has a route for the public IPs via your WAN interfaces. That also implies that you cannot use an address from the pool on your WAN interface like you are. You need ROUTED space - space someone gives you to use as you like, and routes to you via your otherwise unrelated WAN links.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

ripwinder
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi Fewi,

Thanks for that. I now understand. In our core we are supplied a seriel IP from our transit provider who advertise our Inetnum for us so am I right in thinking that we will not require proxy ARP once we deploy into our live environment.

It's strange that I could not get this working without Proxy ARP as our IP Transit link is connected to a Cisco 3560 on Vlan 1 using the seriel IP and gateway. I created Vlan 3 with one of the /28's provided by our transit provider and then gave the Mikrotik one of these public IP's with the IP of Vlan 3 as gateway. Once I had created a route on the 3560 the Mikrotik could see the outside world however when assigning one of these IP's on ether2 (PPPoE) server the client could not see the internet until Proxy ARP was enabled.

I could not test with our own Inetnum as it is in use on another VLAN serving our DSL customers but this is what we want to use when we make the switch.

Cheers,

RW

PS: sorry about the duplicate post.

ripwinder
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:46 am

Hi Everyone,

Right I really hope someone can help me out here as if I get this answered then my understanding should hopefully be complete. I basically have one question:

My Tier 1 transit provider gives me a /32

IP 208.xx.xx.142
GW 208.xx.xx.141

We have our own /22 that our transit provider announces on their network and points to our seriel GW 208.xx.xx.141 or IP.

On our internal side of the network if we hand out blocks of IP's to our customers by breaking up our /22 in to say a bunch of /28s or /30s and we create routes for these which would look like 46.xx.xx.0/32 208.xx.xx.141 will this work?

Do we need to do anything on our Mikrotik at all to make this work? I'm thinking we don't need Proxy-Arp and we wont need to bridge. We will be connecting our cusotmers via PPPoE so their initial connection will have /32 mask and we will then issue them with a block upon request and then either create the route manually or enter it in to their secret to have it created dynamically.

Please if someone can just confirm this for me it would be great.

Cheers,

RW.