Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

cloun
just joined
Topic Author

hotspot and arp

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:09 am

Hi! I'm trying to setup hotstop access point in ethernet lan of my hostel's network to provide internet. My router isn't a default gateway of some subnet. But as you know interfaces owned by hotspot reply on all broadcast arp who-has traffic like all requested addresses are on this router. And router turns ALL subnet traffic by itself. So how can I disable this arp feature?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hotspot and arp

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:21 am

Don't know for sure if this will work, but try removing all references to address pools from Hotspots and Hotspot profiles.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 pm

A quick test confirms that if you leave the address pool on the Hotspot empty (disabling Universal NAT) the Hotspot no longer ARP poisons the network.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

cloun
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Thank you so much! It's really works!))

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks, fewi. I was looking for that earlier.

May I suggest to the MT crew to modify the wiki to include the warning about Universal NAT and arp poisoning. If a user wishes to allow connections to other localnet users behind the hotspot interface, disable the Universal NAT. Maybe something like this in the manual under hotspot:
address-pool (name / none; default: none) : address space used to change HotSpot client any IP address to a valid address. Useful for providing public network access to mobile clients that are not willing to change their networking settings. However, the Universal NAT uses arp poisoning, so in order to allow localnet computers behind the hotspot interface to communicate with each other, the address-pool should be set to none (disables Universal NAT).

cloun
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Guys, please help me to solve one more stupid problem :cry:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50504