Community discussions

MikroTik App

MRMISSY
Topic Author

what are the options for 2 wan(PIC INCLUDED COMPLEX NETWORK)

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:26 am

hi
I have small ISP with around 40 users
see the pic
PLEASE
advice to separate users on the 2 wan
with centralized hotspot with radius in the server

thanks
Last edited by MRMISSY on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MRMISSY
Topic Author

Re: what are the options that I have for 2 wan

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:00 pm

HELP PLEASE !

MRMISSY
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:10 am

OMG
UP

MRMISSY
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:53 am

UP :shock:

MRMISSY
Topic Author

Re: what are the options for 2 wan(PIC INCLUDED COMPLEX NETW

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:44 pm

ANY suggestions ?

MRMISSY
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm newbie
please help
i want to tunnel the second line to the server

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:13 pm

if i understand that properly, you are gonna want to read up on either OSPF or EIGRP.
your internet connection are separate so a dynamic routing protocol will be needed

MCT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 pm

EIGRP is Cisco proprietary so that's not even an option.

In all honesty the diagram is seriously lacking, as is the apparent lack of any design other than 'bridge everything'. The network is still very simple

What's the topology actually look like? Where are the customers connecting? What's the bandwidth provided and what is your upstream bandwidth?

It looks like it's quite possible that some of those links will carry the same traffic twice going to the hotspot and then back out to the other internet connection. That may work with very little traffic but you're basically cutting the capacity in half and just asking for trouble as the volume of traffic increases.

No one will really be able to give you much in the way of usable help until you give more information on the actual layout down to where the customers connect.

MRMISSY
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:31 am

network.png
thanks for replay
simply i have hotspot server in the main server (1 main board) with xr2 omni antenna for clients then xr5 directional antenna to an other xr5 station wds which connected to the second board (2) all port are bridged then connected to third board (3) by lan ether which is also having it's port bridged (in these boards , all client connected by sector antenna ) finally the forth board (4) is connected via nanostation 5m and having all port also bridged where the clients are connected by omni xr2

in these location i managed to get a second dsl line
i have 450g board
i want to use these board to be connected to my network and benefit from the second dsl line
both dsl line are 20 mb
I'm giving all clients 1 mb
are there any way to tunnel the second line to my laptop or can be used in load balancing?
thanks in advance
network.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:55 am

If you want to share the combined capacity of the two adsl lines you first have to arrange that second line to reach the hotspot/main distribution server. Use a separate physical connection for that. You don't want data to travel up and down your back hauls twice.
After that you then have several options for loadbalancing. Plenty of examples in the wiki and discussions on this forum. PCC works fine for me with 3 adsl lines but depending on the setup of your hotspot server and possible webproxy you have to decide what kind of PCC setup works best for the services you are offering.
After that you just distribute the capacity over your network. Try to avoid bridging as much as possible. When the amount of users and the amount of data transport increases routing or any other tunnel distribution protocols are much faster.

MRMISSY
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:03 am

If you want to share the combined capacity of the two adsl lines you first have to arrange that second line to reach the hotspot/main distribution server. Use a separate physical connection for that. You don't want data to travel up and down your back hauls twice.
After that you then have several options for loadbalancing. Plenty of examples in the wiki and discussions on this forum. PCC works fine for me with 3 adsl lines but depending on the setup of your hotspot server and possible webproxy you have to decide what kind of PCC setup works best for the services you are offering.
After that you just distribute the capacity over your network. Try to avoid bridging as much as possible. When the amount of users and the amount of data transport increases routing or any other tunnel distribution protocols are much faster.
thanks
will physical connection is quite difficult for me
the second option is to tunnel this second line for my private using. is this possible? and how ? which protocol?
from bridging to routing ? I'm newbie how ?

MRMISSY
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:25 am

up
:(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

I suggest attending a training, so you first get some understanding on TCP/IP basics, and how RouterOS configuration works in general. It would be very hard to teach you all this in a forum.

http://www.mikrotik.com/training/?train ... t_training

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:59 pm

will physical connection is quite difficult for me
the second option is to tunnel this second line for my private using. is this possible? and how ? which protocol?
from bridging to routing ? I'm newbie how ?
Yes, almost anything is possible. For tunnels etc. someone else has to jump in this topic. Although I am not a newbie after 5 years of membership I still work with a fully routed network that so far works fine for me and my customers. Tunnels might improve things but every chapter in deploying networks has its own merits and I still haven't found time to learn enough about tunnels to fully understand all the ins/outs, pro's and cons, of each different one.
Don't expect anyone to give you the definite solution for your network in that respect. If you look for fast and 3rd party set-up of your network expect to draw your wallet.....
And if someone might jump in fro free, I might learn from it too! :D
But so far plain routing works fine for my 200+ users network! My focus is somewhere else!

MCT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:07 pm

As it is now if you tunnel the new internet connection to the 'master' hotspot server you're going to be sending data over the same link twice in many cases. That is never a good thing.

If you're using hotspot I'd push it out to all of the APs and have it authenticate against your master server. That way each individual hotspot can take the best route to the internet and the only common traffic would be authentication links to the master server.

If you try to put a lot of customers on your current setup it's going to create horrible network conditions. You can grab some Cisco entry level books and study networking and basic design, but you really need to hire a consultant to fix things before it really becomes a problem.