Community discussions

MikroTik App

RAHQGideon
Topic Author

EOIP fragmenting problem?

Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi

I am having an issue with an EOIP link maybe you guys can help. We have 3 x 433AH boards running v5.0rc10. If I do a bandwidth test from AP1 to AP2 from the routers themselves not through the EOIP I get around 25Mbps with no packet loss whatsoever. If i do a bandwidth test from PC1 to AP2 or vice versa PC2 to AP1 (running through the EOIP) I only get around 15Mbps and a constant packet loss of around 30% . The CPU on the boards is around 7 to 13%. Is this fragmentation? I tried pushing the MTU up but doesnt seem to help.
Untitled.png
Any ideas?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: EOIP fragmenting problem?

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:03 pm

If there is fragmentation, you can see it using the ping tool with "do not fragment" option, rising the packet size until no reply. Then you will have the true MTU of the link.

I would try the same thing, replacing the EoIP tunnel by a PPTP + BCP tunnel, using a MRRU of 1600 at each side, so that the tunnel MTU can't be the issue regardless the traffic going inside.

If the same problem occur with PPTP + BCP + 1600 MRRU, then the problem is not related to EoIP but more to a bridging or QOS problem.

It is normal that you have a bandwith reduction with EoIP because of the heavy added headers.

How did you test the bandwith ?

It would be interesting to limit the send / receive bandwith for the bandwith test and see where is the limit using this test method.

You could try as well to use IP packing, to virtualy rise the MTU.

RAHQGideon
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi.

Thanks fo your reply. I tested with MT bandwidth test using 2 PRTG pc's to check the packet loss and jitter levels. The loss starts at around 10Mbps, anything under this is fine.

If I use packing do I just apply it to the EOIP interface's or to the WLAN's as well? What packing/unpacking and ageregate size? Havent used it before. Will try PPTP if it doesnt work.

Thanks

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:47 pm

You could experiment with different aggregated values.

See here for M3P details :

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Packing

And be aware of this :

"Router should be seen as neighbour of router over interface you want to enable packing on. If in neighbour list there are no entry indicating packing, packing is not working!"

You should use it on the wlan interfaces i think, not the EoIP ones.

Do not activate data compression, can overload the processor. Eventualy header compression.

If you are using PPTP, you can try as well van jacobson header compression.

Are you sure your link are perfectly stable ? (no trees or objects in the way ) ?