Community discussions

polepetko
just joined
Topic Author

Stop counting quota / data limits for updates of OS or AV

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:05 am

Hello,

I am new to Mikrotik RB but experienced in networking. Is it possible to set Mikrotik Hotspot or Queues not to count Rx/Tx data for IP addresses that belongs to for example Microsoft Update site or antivirus software site? I want to have my users' computers up to date but I don't want to waste their data limit for updates. Thanks for response :)

Michal

regardtv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Stop counting quota / data limits for updates of OS or A

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 am

Hi,

You are referring to an ability to not account specific source/destination IP ranges - a feature many of us in the ISP space are looking for.

Cisco's ISG funcationality can do that - and much more. I've requested this sort of feature capability before but don't expect it any time soon as there is a fair bit of work around something like this.

Unless I'm mistaken there is no way to do this effectively in ROS today - sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

bda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Stop counting quota / data limits for updates of OS or A

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi,

You are referring to an ability to not account specific source/destination IP ranges - a feature many of us in the ISP space are looking for.

Cisco's ISG funcationality can do that - and much more. I've requested this sort of feature capability before but don't expect it any time soon as there is a fair bit of work around something like this.

Unless I'm mistaken there is no way to do this effectively in ROS today - sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Maybe do it via embedded firewall log rules? And than get counters via script?
God bless UNIX!