Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Netinstall help

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 pm

I have never used the netinstall program. but I need to upgrade a RB532. I have everything hooked up and am trying to follow the instructions.

when the RB532 reboots and tries to install the software I get error could not format the partitions.

derr12

Re: Netinstall help

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:32 pm

I only ever use netinstall on fresh installs of devices without router os.

If you want to upgrade a unit, grab the latest version for your unit here: http://www.mikrotik.com/download.html

I usually get the combined package for ease of use. Then drag that sucker from your desktop to the mikrotiks root folder via the files menu in winbox.

reboot the mikrotik from system.

upon reboot, provided the package is in the root folder and it is the right package, it will update for you.

Before you update i would suggest exporting all your settings first. Ive had some odd things change when ive done seemingly trivial updates.

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:26 pm

I can't get into the RB with winbox. I can get into part of RB with console cable but it keeps rebooting. that is why i was trying to reload with netinstall

derr12

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:35 am

well Ive done installs from net-install before, and i dont remember what i was doing for over the network. but what i do remember is that you will want to make sure you get your license key from the unit before you do it so it doesnt get wiped.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

I followed the network install without too much issue last time as i recall. most of my netinstalls are done on a flash card for old wrapboards. very simple.