Community discussions

MikroTik App

hyp3R
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB600 - Hardware or Power problems ?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Past few days we've been going through some serious problems with RB600 and constant rebooting. Few days ago, we have plugged daughter-board 604 into it since we needed more cards (one more card) for another location which was connecting to it.

Since than, we are experiencing serious problems with RB600 rebooting without any sings of fail or anything. Only thing I saw few times in the log was "RB rebooted because of the kernel failure".

We are using 48V Power supply that we bought originally from MikroTik reseller, it's plugged into POE and POE is providing the board with power.

We have sent supout file to a support and the answer was:

"Hello, Random crashes, might be related to insufficient power for wireless cards."

Also, I didn't mention I had issue with installing Netinstall over serial cable. Firstly, it was saying that it can't find network card and had some errors with some module file or something like that.

Now my questions is:

When you add daughter-board to your RB600, is power supply of 48V enough ? Is POE giving same power to the board as it would give if it's directly connected to the board ?

Is it better to have power supply adapter connected directly to a board ? This is very serious issues and tomorrow we are planing to send the board to reseller company we have bought it from.

So to make it easier for you:

1. Couldn't install NETINSTALL over Serial cable. Right after that, I've taken board 433 and it installed it normally on it, just to check if I'm doing something wrong.
2. Latest version of OS is installed on the board, same as firmware version 2.27.
3. Cards are brand new, 1 CM9, 1 R52Hn and 3 ordinary R52.
4. Using power supply of 48V originally shipped from MT reseller.

Would appreciate any help,
Thanks in advance,
Alex

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB600 - Hardware or Power problems ?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi Alex,

Could be a question of watts or amps and not volts.
You might check how many watts the radio cards pull as a maximum (in total) and then replace the power supply with one which should be slightly over rated.

Also, if you hava a long PoE cable run, this might also cause voltage drops.

Rgds,
Mark.

hyp3R
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:46 pm

It's kinda hard to calculate that but anyway there are 5 cards with RB600 & DB604 on it.
POE (Lan) cable is around 10 meters long, not more.

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:12 am

Hi,

The RB600 can pull a max of 35w and at 48v that would be approx 0.8A

1 x R52Hn is max 7W;
3 x R52 at 2.4W each is 7.2W;
1 x CM9 is max 0.5W.

So all cards (in Theory) at max could draw approx 4.4Amps (using P=I x V) and at 3.3vDC

This, to me, means you might really need to get a higher rated power supply.

The 10 metres or so cable should not induce any significant drop if it is a good quality cable (solid copper).

Rgds,
Mark.

hyp3R
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:17 am

Hi siscom,
Before everything, I highly appreciate your help and you deserve all the respect that can be given. If I can help you with anything in a return, please let me know.

When it comes to power and power thingies, sadly I'm not too much educated. Since only thing I can catch from your post is that I need a better power and that LAN cable is not a power loss if it's good quality. Thing is, cable we are using is ordinary LAN cable which is one of the cheapest I think.

Anyway, I need your suggestion about higher power supply than. Since this one is meant for RB600 (48v), is there any exact model you would recommend ? We didn't have any similar issue to this one so my lack of knowledge is making me ask you all this.

Once again, thank you.
Regards,
Alex

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi Alex,

I have always supplied our RB600 boards power via Extreme Switches with PoE at both Datacenter and remote locations. So unfortunately, I cannot point you to a power supply model.

However, the RB600 userguide does state' The maximum ouput ....... is normally at about 25W (7.5A at 3.3V).

What you seem to be doing is trying to push the RB600/604 combination too far. I also think that it is rather useless to be able to have access to 8 radio slots and then not be able to use them but that is what we have.

I would also advise against having all those radio cards in the same enclosure - when I have tried something similar, the interference inside the enclosure gave me some trouble.

If you really need to have these 5 cards, then go for better quality cable and the only PoE injector that I have found for you is at - http://www.titanwirelessonline.com/PacW ... 8vs-hp.htm

Hope it all works out.

ADD - You might try out this PSU - http://www.tyconpower.com/products/POE. ... r_Supplies

Rgds,
Mark.