Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

tomswenson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Transitioning station pseudobridge CPE's to NV2.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:57 pm

I have a lot of CPE's running station pseudobridge. I'm looking to transition them to 5.0 and NV2. I have tested and it seems to work fine in station mode, but they won't work in station mode now, and station pseudobridge doesn't work in NV2.

Can anyone think of a good way to transition this ap other than going into every CPE, upgrading them all and then when I'm ready, moving them all to station, then change the AP to NV2? I was hoping that there would be an easier way to do this, especially if it doesn't work, I might have to mac-telnet into every radio from the AP to move them back to pseudobridge.

Tom

tomswenson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Transitioning station pseudobridge CPE's to NV2.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 pm

I figured out something that will work for me and figured I'd post it for the next guy trying to do the same thing. I decided to use a script to look at how it is connected and then to switch from pseudobridge to station-bridge if is is connecting with NV2. Since I couldn't get values from the tdma variables, I looked for something else. I found I could trigger on the 802.1x variable. Here is my script:

#Get current mode
:local tommode [/interface wireless get [find interface="wlan1"] mode];

#Get 802.1x port enabled setting
:local tomnv [/interface wireless registration-table get [find interface="wlan1"] 802.1x-port-enabled];

#Test to see if things have changed
:if ($tomnv != true && $tommode= "station-pseudobridge") do={/interface wireless set 0 mode=station-bridge }
:if ($tomnv = true && $tommode= "station-bridge") do={/interface wireless set 0 mode=station-pseudobridge }

I put this in a schedule running every 30 seconds or so. I does nothing if the AP has not changed. Now to upgrade all the radios to 5.1 and give this a try.

I hope it helps someone someday.

Tom

Mplsguy
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:19 am

5.x version supports station-bridge mode also for 802.11 & nstreme protocols. So you can transition in really simple way:
- upgrade all devices to 5.x
- on AP enable "bridge-mode", set wireless-protocol=802.11 (assuming you use 802.11)
- on all clients set mode=station-bridge and wireless-protocol=any
- on AP set wireless-protocol=nv2

tomswenson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Darn, now you tell me. I thought I had tried that with station-bridge and it didn't work for me. But now, I do a test on my bench and it is working just fine. This would make transition even easier for me.

Thanks very much. On the plus side, I did learn a lot about writing scripts in this process.

Tom