Community discussions

MikroTik App

johnny
just joined
Topic Author

Bonding Multiple 3G modems

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi all,
I tried to bond 3 3g modems. Two 411 boxes, each with 3 modems. Eoip from every modem (3 tunnels), bonding interface that includes the eoip interfaces. I can see that the data is distributed on all 3 modems, but the bandwidth is slower then with one eoip tunnel.
I tried balance-rr and 802.3ad. Same result.
Can anyone help on this?

Thanks

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Bonding Multiple 3G modems

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:31 pm

bonding is designed to work on ethernets, so it needs the same speed on all links. Otherwise aggregated bandwidth of the slowest link is used.

johnny
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi,
Thanks. But I used the same modem type, antenna, carrier on all links. O bandwidth test, all 3 modem gave the same bandwidth.
Is there anything I can do to aggregate 3G modems speed?

artie11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:09 pm

They may Sync at the same speed and have the same signal, However Actual data throughput is varied from transmit to transmit.

Your best option would be per connection load balance them, Which may not be what you need depending on the your application.

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Load balancing 3G services via PCC is quite possible, I know this because I just moved into a new house and we're doing it while we wait for the ADSL line to be installed ;-)
IMG_2931.JPG
There's some good examples in the mikrotik wiki: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC
Or you can checkout the tutorial I did for setting up load-balanced PPP services: http://www.mikrotik-routeros.com/?p=12

Hope this helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:12 pm

what board (enclosure) is that?

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:48 pm

ALIX 6E1 board, with standard case. This is a year or 2 old board now :-)

http://pcengines.ch/alix6e1.htm

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:51 pm

oh no!

ztz
just joined

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Hey guys,

I know this thread is a little bit old, however I was wondering if anyone found any better solutions to the original poster's question. I have searched around the net with searches such as "broadband bonding," but I hoped to maybe find some other solutions around the forums.

Thanks

zapf
just joined

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey guys,

I know this thread is a little bit old, however I was wondering if anyone found any better solutions to the original poster's question. I have searched around the net with searches such as "broadband bonding," but I hoped to maybe find some other solutions around the forums.

Thanks
http://www.viprinet.com/en/

What country are you in?

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:15 am

It is possible to do this anywhere, best way though is to simply have a MikroTik device with multiple IP's in a data center with low latency to your 3G services.

This way each 3G link dials a connection (because we're assuming that the 3G IP addresses are dynamic so permanent tunnels are not an option) back to this data center housed device, which in turn completes the bonding process and forwards traffic out its own connection.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:15 am

It is possible to do this anywhere, best way though is to simply have a MikroTik device with multiple IP's in a data center with low latency to your 3G services.

This way each 3G link dials a connection (because we're assuming that the 3G IP addresses are dynamic so permanent tunnels are not an option) back to this data center housed device, which in turn completes the bonding process and forwards traffic out its own connection.

will this link http://www.mikrotik-routeros.com/2009/0 ... ded-links/ mentioned by you work for bonding more than one 2G / 3G USB sticks?

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:35 am

Yes, that method was what I used at the time to load balance across the 3 x 3G sticks we had in place.

If you know that one stick has more bandwidth than the others simple adjust the ratio of your PCC rules to match this.

For example if one stick has 14Mbps and the others only get 7Mbps each you would have 4 PCC outcomes, with 2 of these outcomes utilising the first stick and 1 each for the remaining 2 sticks.
It's not a perfect balance but on average it works the best this way.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:58 am

can you give how have you defined Ether Ports to be configured on the 3 USB sticks on a single USB connection from Routerboard?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:35 am

Yes, that method was what I used at the time to load balance across the 3 x 3G sticks we had in place.

If you know that one stick has more bandwidth than the others simple adjust the ratio of your PCC rules to match this.

For example if one stick has 14Mbps and the others only get 7Mbps each you would have 4 PCC outcomes, with 2 of these outcomes utilising the first stick and 1 each for the remaining 2 sticks.
It's not a perfect balance but on average it works the best this way.

do you have this setup script shown somewhere online?