Community discussions

MikroTik App

spammyduck
Topic Author

Do I have this Queue set up correctly

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:54 am

I think I have the queue set up right but I'm not sure. I want a range of IP's rate limited 'per IP' .

For example:
65.44.11.0/26
I want to create a queue that rate limits each of the 62 IP's in that range to 2Mbps each (each IP) down. I do not want the entire range limited to 2Mbps over all, I want each IP limited to 2Mbps. So say I have 5 customers that log on and get an IP from that range, I want each of them to have 2Mbps I do NOT want all 5 of them sharing 2Mbps.

If I am understanding it correctly, I need to create a Queue Type using PCQ and set the "Rate:" of that Queue Type to 2M
Then I create a Simple Queue for target address 65.44.11.0/26 leave all the limits at the default "unlimited" and under "Advanced" set the Queue Type to my custom 2Mbps Queue Type I created.

Will that work ?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

skillful
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Do I have this Queue set up correctly

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:29 pm

You have to set the pcq-classifier as well

Create two PCQs, one for downloads with the pcq-classifier=dst-address and the second for uploads with the pcq-classifier=src-address. Set both rates to whatever you want each IP Address to have.

Now use these PCQs in the queue-type tab of the simple queue

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Or if you can you can make a PPPoE Server and define in ppp-profile Rate-limit (example 2M/1M).

This is much simpler since i beleive you have more than enough bandwidth (62*2M...)

Clients than use and authenticate over PPPoE Clients

spammyduck
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:22 am

Or if you can you can make a PPPoE Server and define in ppp-profile Rate-limit (example 2M/1M).

This is much simpler since i beleive you have more than enough bandwidth (62*2M...)

Clients than use and authenticate over PPPoE Clients

I may end up doing that the problem for me is that it applies the rate limit at the PPPoE server (we are using PPPoE/Radius to assign the correct IP's and do authentication) and what I am working toward is to only limit the speed ( 2M/2M for example) to the Internet and not limit their speed at all to our local network (so customers have 100Mbps access to the mail server, web server, etc...). So my first goal is rate limiting per IP and I guess I have that working.

What I want to do is only rate limit traffic in/out of port 0 (The Internet). Our Mikrotik (Intel system) has 8 ports -
Port 0 = Internet (66.77.88.99/30)
Port 1 = LAN (65.44.11.254/30)---> PPPoE Server
Port 2 = LAN (65.44.12.0/24)----> Local Servers

Is there a way to make the queue only rate limit traffic in/out of port 0 and not rate limit it in/out port 2 ?

spammyduck
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:39 am

You have to set the pcq-classifier as well

Create two PCQs, one for downloads with the pcq-classifier=dst-address and the second for uploads with the pcq-classifier=src-address. Set both rates to whatever you want each IP Address to have.

Now use these PCQs in the queue-type tab of the simple queue
Yeah I have an up and down PCQ , actually I have several as I have several levels of service ( 256k , 1Mbps, 2Mbps and 4Mbps a separate up/down for each ). So I guess your telling me I have it right. Now , do I understand the the simple queue "Burst Limit" correctly, if I was to set a Burst Limit of 100Mbps , would that then limit the entire subnet to 100Mbps (e.g. each IP in the subnet limited to 2Mbps each while the entire subnet not allowed to exceed 100Mbps) ? Also, under the Advanced tab is yet another rate limit setting "Limit At" .. not sure what that does.