Community discussions

MikroTik App

GREG3f
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

QoS Within PPPoE connection

Thu May 12, 2011 11:06 pm

I would like to know if it is possible to do some QoS within each clients PPPoE connection.

Let's say I have PPPoE connection with 3 different speeds 512k/256k, 3M/1M and 6M/2M.

Can we shape traffic within each pppoe so that when a client reaches there allocated speed, Voip and Http etc will have a high priority and P2P would have low priority and I would like to limit P2P to a maximum of 30 connections.

Our gateway has more than enough bandwidth for our clients, so QOS is not actually needed,but within each clients connection it is needed and some users have congestion.

Would this have to be done at the clients premises?

Example scripts or a tutorial would be appreciated.

derr12

Re: QoS Within PPPoE connection

Fri May 13, 2011 12:41 am

Not within the pppoe connection itself no, PPPOE does not have any QOS perameters you can do. You may be able to set some basic QOS on the CPE side depending on what kind of gear you have in.

You CAN set some QOS on the AP as a whole using PCQ and queue tree's but that will shape bandwidth as a whole.

With the Motorola Wimax pmp320 gear we are starting to deploy, they DO have over the air QOS between client and AP. This is the first time I have seen something like that implimented.

Moto Wimax stuff is friggin expensive tho, and has had product recalls due to manufacturing defects and many many shitty firmware releases. Id stay away from it for at least another couple months. As soon as the bugs are worked out (nearly there) it will kicks ass. We get 6mbit/2mbit packages at 15kms (los) no problem.

derr12

Re: QoS Within PPPoE connection

Fri May 13, 2011 12:42 am

If you are running a mikrotik CPE, you might be able to get something like that working, and it would have to be set on the CPE. I think you would have to turn off pppoe though.