Community discussions

MikroTik App

jbaird
Topic Author

IP assignment via RADIUS and PPPoE

Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 pm

I plan to drop PPPoE concentrators/routers at each remote/tower location which communicates with a RADIUS server(s) back at a NOC site. My question is regarding IP assignment via RADIUS. I will be using DMA's Radius Manager 3 and FreeRadius.

Is it possible to assign IP's from pools defined at the RADIUS server? At this point, I guess I would need to figure out how to route the /32's out to the PPPoE servers? Or, will I need to route a block of IP's to each PPPoE server and create pools on the Mikrotik boxes there? I'd prefer to assign IP's from pools on the RADIUS server to keep from potentially wasting unused IP's at the towers but just want to evaluate what options I have here.

Can someone comment on the best way to handle IP allocation when using this type of RADIUS/PPPoE setup?

Thanks

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Re: IP assignment via RADIUS and PPPoE

Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 pm

jbaird
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2011 11:04 pm

Medianet,

Can you comment on the routing configuration that is needed to support this type of configuration? How would I route each IP out to the remote PPPoE servers?

Also, do yo use this module in conjunction with DMA's Radius Manager 3 product?

Thanks!

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Wed May 18, 2011 11:22 pm

I dont use Radiusmanager product, i developed our custom frontend software to manage freeradius.
About routing, my routing table has all the /32 routes to the customers. OSPF and BGP are used to redistribuite them. (BGP from AP to Site router, then OSPF between sites routers( It can be all OSPF but i was scared to add too many OSPF routers to a single backbone area))

jbaird
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Ok, I guess I'm just confused on how the routing actually works. Say I have a /24 and I want to assign IP's out of this /24 to several PPPoE servers in the field. Where do I route this /24 to, and where do the individual /32's originate from?

Sorry for the amateur questions.. just trying to figure this out, and it sounds like you are doing exactly what I would like to do.

blake

Thu May 19, 2011 3:47 am

Where do I route this /24 to, and where do the individual /32's originate from?
You don't specifically have to route the /24 anywhere. Your edge router will obviously receive the block from the ISP, and internally you would just fill your IGP (OSPF, or BGP) with the /32's.

As you grow your network you could start routing /24's (or /25's) to a particular geographical area, then inside that geographical area you could run OSPF or BGP with the PPPoE concentrators so they can fill in that 'area router' with /32's. That router would just advertise an aggregate route back to the rest of your network, thus keeping your real IGP size low.