singh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Bandwith limit

Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi,
I am using Mikrotik user OS.
I give out usernames and passwords on the hotspot. I have the DHCP server created in the Mikrotik.
My problem is that people login with different IPs every time so making it difficult to manage their bandwith. If a user logs in with 192.168.0.3 today and I set a queue for 256k to it, next time he logs in with 192.168.0.10 and the queue becomes useless and they end up chewing more bandwidth.
Is there a way I can give bandwith to a username rather than an IP without putting in a radius server

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bandwith limit

Thu May 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Uhm, that's the whole point of a Hotspot. You're making this way harder that it is.

Create a user profile under "/ip hotspot user profile". Assign a rate limit there. Then create users under "/ip hotspot user" and assign the user profile to the accounts. They will inherit those rate limits. There's absolutely no need to create manual queues.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

singh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Bandwith limit

Mon May 30, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks,that worked