MikroTik App

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

To 2.9.x or not to 2.9.x?

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:05 am

Hi,

next week we are starting our first true 1mbit line. Our main router is PC 2.6 Sempron, Mikrotik level 5, version 2.8, two Atheros CM9s on 2.4, one on 5.9.

What we would like to do is to get our line to other locations. We bought RouterBoard 532, which should already contain 2.9 version.

My question is simple - should we switch to 2.9.6 on our main router too? Is it ready for the prime-time? I hear here or there that ppl are still having some troubles with it in regards to radios. We could probably upgrade later, but dunno if going from 2.8 to 2.9 later, when site will be in production use, would not cause some problems. Or should we start with 2.9.6 already?

Thanks a lot,
-pekr-

HarvSki

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:44 pm

I've been running 2.9.5 on one router without problems, this router is pretty simle though, it has an aotheros wireless client some static routing and a EoIP bridge to aa 2.8.27 router.

It is worth bearing in mind that some things in 2.9 are completely different to 2.8 like Policy Routing, all you existing rules will be lost when you upgrade!

I intend to replace my main routers by building new ones and swapping them out, then upgrade the old one to use elsewhere.