Community discussions

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Webfig skins (tutorial)

Tue May 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Since v5.4 we have a new feature in Webfig - "Design Skin". Click this button to make changes to the Webfig interface. This is perfect to remove unnecessary features for RouterOS users who don't want to see them, to make it easier to find what is needed to this specific user, or to hide things he could "break". Also great for translating the entire interface!

How to make a skin

1.PNG
Click "Design skin" button:
2.PNG
You can now uncheck any element to hide it, you can rename any element or translate it:
3.PNG
You can also add limits to text fields, add notes or make fields read-only:
6.PNG
Once you SAVE the skin with a new name, and exit the Design mode, you will see the changes:
4.PNG
Go back to full skin mode with the Design Skin button, and go to the System Users menu to assign this skin to a specific user group (probably make a new group). To hide the "Design skin" button from this group, uncheck the "policy" checkbox:
5.PNG
Once again, this is not a security measure, as skilled users will be able to overcome these applied limitations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

a.devecerski
just joined

Re: Webfig skins (tutorial)

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Is there a way to delete unnecessary skin?

Cheers

reverged
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:05 am

Is there a way to delete unnecessary skin?

Cheers
skins are stored as files in /skins with the <skin name>.json

Just delete the file.

You can also download the file, edit it using a text editor and upload it back to the router.
This makes creating skins and cloning RB's easier.

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 am

Wy dont you make the check/uncheck options to winbox? :D!
Martín
martinruiz at ibersystems.es
Experto en redes WiFi y enlaces WiFi.

Facebook: @Ibersystems
Twitter: @Ibersystems

Certified in Traffic Shaping, Wireless, Internetworking, Routing and User Management.
MTCTCE - MTCWE - MTCINE - MTCUME - MTCRE

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:52 am

Yes, I fully second this!
I want a browser independent management program for ros. But winbox could definately have more edit functionality...

One of the MT-ros advantages over ubnt-ros is the fact that no matter if my browser is crashed, not loading or whatever, I can still reach my unit with a gui.
I can even prioritize my gui (winbox) in my network. With http for only management this becomes much more complicated.

MT, don't copy too much from ubnt. The groove is a very good idea, but their html management gui sucks imho.
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:06 am

Agreed, MT do so much so well; please keep doing THAT :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 pm

Yes, I fully second this!
I want a browser independent management program for ros. But winbox could definately have more edit functionality...

One of the MT-ros advantages over ubnt-ros is the fact that no matter if my browser is crashed, not loading or whatever, I can still reach my unit with a gui.
I can even prioritize my gui (winbox) in my network. With http for only management this becomes much more complicated.

MT, don't copy too much from ubnt. The groove is a very good idea, but their html management gui sucks imho.
before webfig everyone asked for an OS independent interface. now it's backwards again :)

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:32 pm

before webfig everyone asked for an OS independent interface. now it's backwards again :)
No, I never asked for it. And me, but also some others, have been asking for winbox improvements since the day 2.xx versions where in use.
I also explained why html/port 80 solutions is not preferred. Having its own tcp port and program is one of the big advantages of winbox above browser based solution.
For security I actually disable any port 80 access to routers anyway. Or every kid will be tempted to get into my routers. Only for the challenge and than ruin it if they succeed. Using winbox is just another step away for the `accidental`intruder.

Also, by using browser based solutions suddenly the browser maker, or the way it is installed on your PC, has influence on how your management console performs. We all know of all the problems that come with browsers.... html, activeX, cookies, history, regular updates, safety flaws, add-ons, spy ware, agents... do I need to go on? All possible problem sources.
A serious management program is browser independent, not OS independent. I hate browsers for configuration tools. Winbox just has a port and tcp protocol. KISS (Keep it simple and Stupid) but make it a complete tool box.

Rudy R. Puister

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:47 pm

I think you may be alone on this one, as OS independent solution was one of the top requested features since we introduced Winbox.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm

webfig works on all browsers that support standard javascript. So every single platform there is that has working browser with javascript is working (at least that is our goal). So you can use simple netbook running linux, your smartphone no matter what.

And for me - security usually comes with firewall configuration not with some external application.

Oh, and there is universal CLI (ssh or telnet)

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:44 am

well, I am sure I am not the only one preferring winbox above all other, with CLI in case winbox won't work.
But no use to fight it over, as long as you guys also try to improve winbox and don't let it become a ´forgotten child´ I don't mind what else you'd develop. 8)

Rudy R. Puister

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Started to play with webfig. I`ll guess I have to if winbox isn't improved much...

Anyway, don`t know if this is the place to mention possible bugs, but I think I found one in webfig:

Interface graphs in IE8 not showing traffic. In Firefox not a problem...
routerboard runs v5.5.

Rudy R. Puister

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:01 pm

webfig is mainly tested on mozilla firefox and google chrome. There might be some quirks with IE as it lacks features in some areas (eg. standard support)

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:51 pm

well, I am sure I am not the only one preferring winbox above all other, with CLI in case winbox won't work.
I also prefer Winbox and the command line via ssh or a terminal session.
Regards
Hilton

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:12 am

and then you just take your phone or some electronic pad, fire up the browser and set up the router.

Same applies if some firewall nazi has cut off everything but port 80, just log in webfig and configure away. And since winbox has "new terminal" button it has made its appearance in webfig too - terminal in browser window.

AJStevens

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 pm

We've all loved winbox, I'm sure. But being windows only was a problem.

I believe we started asking for iPhone, Android apps and a linux version of winbox, it was Mikrotik who answered us and said "No, we're not doing any of those, we'll do a cross browser/os web interface, that will work almost anywhere".

Fair enough, it does cut down development, no question.

No one said we didn't still want winbox, in fact, only thing I feel it really needs is to be able to re-order columns!

I hope both continue and see improvements as time goes on.
webfig is mainly tested on mozilla firefox and google chrome. There might be some quirks with IE as it lacks features in some areas (eg. standard support)
This concerns me, while IE is continously bashed for it's lack of standards, security flaws, you can't escape that it's on (almost) every Windows PC out there, and if there are "firewall nazis" there are certainly workstation equivalents that don't want programs installed without authorisation, including web browsers.

I'm all for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, in fact I frequently float between all of them, depending on which of their current versions are best at small memory foot print and not leaking (I find it varies enormously which is best, depending on the version), however IE's market share shouldn't be ignored and I would hope Mikrotik and other companies test their web interfaces with it as much as they do other browsers, and if it needs modification to work/display properly, then that's included.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:54 pm

We have no plan to discontinue Winbox. Both interfaces will coexist.

w0lt

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:08 pm

We have no plan to discontinue Winbox. Both interfaces will coexist.
Normis, Good Answer !!
With that in mind, can you have the WinBox configuration stored as a file much like a skin too?
Copying that file to different devices would be a lot easier than re-doing the layout each time.

Hope to be in LAS (October)

:-) :-)
MTCNA - 2011

" The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten "

gerencia@e-digitales.com
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:59 am

Hi all, is posible to use Webfig on iphone?, i tried but authentication fails , i'm using ROs 5.5 and Iphone 4 . Any help will be apreciated.
Dimas

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 am

Hi all, is posible to use Webfig on iphone?, i tried but authentication fails , i'm using ROs 5.5 and Iphone 4 . Any help will be apreciated.
Dimas
We just tested v5.5 and iPhone and it works great. Also Android works too.

gerencia@e-digitales.com
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 am

yes, i goit it, authentication has to be entered twice, Thankyou.

Dimas

ohara

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Same here, interface graphs in IE9 are not showing traffic.Kinda annoying since I am always curious to monitor the bandwith usage.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:03 am

we will get to "works with IE" hacking. For now there are still some dents that has to be ironed out. At the moment best results you will have with Firefox.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 am

all routers that I have access to, work fine with any IE version, including IE9
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ohara

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:35 pm

It looked to me that the graphs and Tx/Rx metrics on the 'Interface' page stopped refreshing after I had navigated away from the interface page that contains the graphs.

I have restarted my workstation over the weekend and upgraded to 5.6 and since then I am not able to replicate this issue on IE9, which makes me a big fan of the webfig.

Thanks.

sdischer
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:55 pm

If you haven't tried WebFig lately, please give it a try before posting here, I think you will be impressed. This is a great step forward and the Design Skin gives you the ability to customize or "dumb down" the UI for your customers. I think this is what we have asked for and it works very well. I am adding it to my MTCNA curriculum.
Steve Discher
LearnMikroTik.com, USA
RouterOS Training and Consulting
Get Certified!
http://www.LearnMikroTik.com

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 pm

If you haven't tried WebFig lately, please give it a try before posting here, I think you will be impressed. This is a great step forward and the Design Skin gives you the ability to customize or "dumb down" the UI for your customers. I think this is what we have asked for and it works very well. I am adding it to my MTCNA curriculum.
That's great! Thanks, Steve.

tlkhorses
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:18 am

just wanted to throw my two cents in. I am very glad to see webfig. I use a MacBook and a motorola xoom and it works great with them. I use links from other programs to access routers and again works very well. Thanks guys for getting this going.
Terri Kelley
Farm to Market LP
Broadband Wireless

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:16 am

RouterOS 5.7 adds new features to Webfig
  • Add new tab and add new separator - you can add these anywhere in existing interface

Status page - want fast and easy access to values you are monitoring most often all in one page, this is feature you should go for. Add all of them in one page and reorder for better overview on how router operates

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Amazing... Webfig+Design+Policy control. Thanks MT guys. I will start to use webfig from today.
----------------------------
Want to learn more and more...

hotspotsolutions
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:46 am

Hi,

Love webfig, however I would like to see the ability to disable the "disable eable buttons" particuarly in "interfaces" you can click the "D" to disable the interface, would like a read-only or remove option for those buttons, either for individual interfaces or as a whole.

If you click the interface the disable button there can be removed, made read only etc, would be nice to see that everywhere.

Once I had that I could actually give customers access to routers, as long as I know they cant disable interfaces, or anything for that matter, simple blanket read only.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:42 am

Webfig is great improvement regarding multiplatfrom use. It looks good and works pretty much fine. I was afraid that Mikrotik will discontinue Winbox, but I am very glad to hear that this will not happen.

However, there are feq quirks:

a. Webig is narowly oriented to desktop or large screen platforms. It is not designed for small screeen mobile devices which is, probably, mostly needed. O really cannot understand how anyone can say that Webfig forks fine on small screen mobile device. Yes, technicaly, it works, but everything is so small, it is hard to click things, you have to scroll in all directions to get what you want... that is not good.

b. Webfig just simulates policies for access limitation for options. Mikrotik lacks proper user policies which should go below user interface. If I want to disable some function for a user I need it to be disabled as an policy, which reflects to user interface too, not just to hide option in web interface but leave access rights intact. Webfig skins just simulates policies and that is very dangerous. I do not want just to hide option from a user. I want to make sure he cannot use them.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:25 am

well, if you red the docs carefully - it is not a security feature. It meant to make simplified interface. Like NV2 skin - wireless section only has options that can impact NV2 all the other options are left out.

Or user can translate interface, add notes :)

if you are worried about users changing something - give them only read rights - so no changes to configuration can be done.

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Webfig and webfig design are very nice features . thanks
MTCNA , MTCRE, MTCWE, Mikrotik Certified Trainer

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:49 am

Hello,
Is there any way to hide "design skin" button for some user group? Because I have user group "operators", they need write and password permission to change some passwords, but they don`t need to change other settings. I already configured them custom skin, but if they click on button "design skin", they can see all other menus.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:39 pm

it is not a security feature. If you get the link and enter it, you can open any hidden page.

In this case you can go for API implementation of the interface, so that they only get interface that allows to do some certain things.

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 pm

Thank you janisk.

braidiano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:13 am

can I change the webfig skin html and/or the html of login page (ex. add company logo) ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:30 am

can I change the webfig skin html and/or the html of login page (ex. add company logo) ?
you can change the login page with the branding package, which is available to resellers and distributors.

braidiano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 am

you can change the login page with the branding package, which is available to resellers and distributors.
thank you. So isnt there a way to change the webfig login, like I do with the hotspot login page?
can it will be a new feature request?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:11 am

no there isn't

marko_bg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 27, 2012 2:39 pm

about security feastures

do you plan to make webfig to have partial or full security for diferent type of users ?

i try to block direct link in firewall on input chain ... in IE some link can be block ... but, in firefox, not

i can see that traffic are cript ... you probably what to hiden code, frmo some one who what to still for thay app.

posible solution are ...

1. full admin control over winbox
2. partial (full secure) operater control over webfig

for second i need to have posibility to block direct link like, maybe base on Content in firewall, and put this : webfig/#Wireless ... maybe you can make L7 rules for this link, and then we will used this medote ?
also i will remove wireless in skin , and if user try to open direcly firewall will block

is ther solution with L7 filter ?

do you somone have some solution to make webfig , security features ... with firewall , L7 or some script ... ?

marko_bg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 pm

btw,

mikrotik team ... you can make this ...

- status page to see by default (empty)

- user try to load direct link to Wireless

- webfig go to skin file, to see what are seting for wireless menu

- if wireless enable , open page normal

- if wireless disable do redirect on status page , or block with some other metode

if used redirect , one page need to be always present ... status can be this page.

marko_bg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 28, 2012 4:10 pm

hey ...

i create new gropu, and remove some menu with design skin ...

when i add this group to new user ... this user can load direct link to 'removed/hiden' menu option

but, when i add this group to admin user ... then admin can not load direct link to hiden menu option ?!

can some one comfirm this !

i work all night , and maybe i skipp some thing :)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 am

webfig skins are not a security feature - it allows to tailor user interface to fit the user. it is still possible to access hidden pages.

marko_bg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 29, 2012 1:15 pm

webfig skins are not a security feature - it allows to tailor user interface to fit the user. it is still possible to access hidden pages.
i can not access to hiden pages ... why ?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 29, 2012 4:03 pm

check the link you are using, maybe there is some error. And as a result you cannot access the page. Also, check if you are logged in.

marko_bg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:55 pm

What's new in 5.17 (2012-May-28 12:34):

*) files - fixed problem when directories disappeared after reboot on usb or sd flash;
*) webfig - make QuickSet scan list work in Firefox v12;
*) webfig - fixed problem in QuickSet when changing country or channel-width in AP
mode would enable NV2 protocol;
*) webfig - fixed skins when hiding first tab may make other tabs inaccessible;
*) winbox - fixed packet raw data view in packet sniffer;
*) winbox - fixed problem when router could be DoS attacked through winbox port;
*) ports - add option "/port firmware ignore-directip-modem"
which will ignore modems ip interface
and modem's serial ports will be made accessible to users;
*) ipv6 pool - allow pools with prefix equal to prefix length;
*) ping times improved on Nv2 high data rate wireless links;
*) tool email - added starttls option;
*) snmp - allow multiple ip ranges for each community;
*) serial console - added channel support;

:) ...

I have question !

why you dont what to make hiden page to be hiden , and to prevent direct link load ...

... obviously it can be done !!!

what is mistery about this ?!?!

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:04 pm

@janisk
- user try to load direct link to Wireless

- webfig go to skin file, to see what are seting for wireless menu

- if wireless enable , open page normal

- if wireless disable do redirect on status page , or block with some other method
There is no problem with security, it's easy to create 'read-only' user group.
IMHO working direct links are bad idea, because we also want WebFig to hide some configuration details.
There is no need for end-user to see whole router configuration, only few selected status informations.
As marko_bg suggested, if page is disabled, status page shoud be displayed instead of direct-linked page.
Probably this feature request is not too hard to implement in WebFig.

Thanks in advance,
Grzegorz | MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCSE | konsultacje MikroTik Warszawa
It is a book about a Spanish guy called Manual. You should read it. - Dilbert

arjuneu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:08 am

Is there anyway to remove or add the columns... like in winbox.