we are about to start our first network in two weeks, and we originally planned to use http://www.billingo.com for our customers, to let them log into their dedicated portal space and see how they do use bandwidth of the line they pay for .... But Billingo seems to be closing their service (and hopefully will restart it different way ....) ...
I would like to ask you, guys, how do you aproach such problem? Do you allow your customers to watch network traffic?
The thing is, I am new with this kind of stuff, and I see plenty of various tools around and I have no clear idea of how to aproach the problem in the best way. And also - I do prefer something simple rather than something complex.
- I will have one linux server sitting inside the network ...
- I can program. Not fluent with C, but fluent in scripting (REBOL)
1) I can see some utils for download directly on MikroTik's page - syslog, Dude, etc. - could they be usefull to me for the task given?
2) I found many do use MRTG package, it seems to be capable reading snmp protocol, right? What does it use as a storage? Can I easily generate website for user to use such a stored data?
3)RRDTool + net-snmp - other alternative to MRTG? It seems it uses its own kind of storage format?
4) more complex tools like Cacti - probably an overhead for what I need?
Let's say I am interested i following levels od details
- User (let's not complicate it and let's assume 1 user = 1 IP) total download/upload per month - that is the beginning I would like to cover and likely it will be enough
- hypothetically - user, further division per protocol/queue counters, e.g. to watch p2p activities etc.
Thanks for any pointers,