MUM Europe 2020

astounding
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

IPv6 with static route for gateway FAIL

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi,

Consistently upon boot, a RouterBoard 750GL (also seen on a RB750G) using a static default IPv6 route FAILS to route IPv6 traffic even though pings from the RB's CLI to the gateway IPv6 addresses succeed and pings from the RB's CLI to the client IPv6 host on the LAN also succeed.

IF I REMOVE the default route and RE-ADD it back (so it is identical), then suddenly the RB DOES start to route IPv6 traffic.

What gives? I can't login to every RB device and reset default routes every time a device reboots just so IPv6 traffic flows.

Puzzled,
Aaron out.

astounding
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: IPv6 with static route for gateway FAIL

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:22 pm

This behavior was seen both on 5.2, 5.4, and 5.5 versions of RouterOS.

Aaron out.

astounding
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Something else odd: When I had TWO default routes (one with distance=1, the other with distance=2), on boot the distance=1 route was listed as "A"=active -- but no traffic was flowing. I removed that route, and instantly upon removal when the distance=2 route became active, traffic flowed. I then added back the original distance=1 route and traffic still flowed normally.

It is as if during boot, something doing the "route add" bit is leaving the kernel or routing table in an odd state that only gets fixed by removing the default static IPv6 route (at which time routing falls to another default route, or one adds in a new replacement, possibly identical static IPv6 default route). Perhaps during the boot sequence, the "route add default" (or equiv. for RouterOS) was occuring perhaps BEFORE the IPv6 stack was fully ready and thus no actual route got injected into the routing table even though the RouterOS interface THINKS the route is active? Just speculating here...

Aaron out.

mondeoghia
just joined

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 pm

I have RB 433 or RB 411A, ROS 5.4 -5.14 and have same problem.

I have static ipv6 config, with 3 subnets, and this config working only if "enable and disable" default route after RB restarts or poweron.

Have any solution?

Thanks