Community discussions

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Bridging and Hotspot at the same time

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Hello everyone

I'm just wondering if its possible to setup ether2 as Hotspot and ether3 as Bridging, By the way ether1 is internet I have two AP one is for hotspot and the other I want to make Bridge, I'm doing Bridging between ether1 and ether3 But it is not working, I lost internet connection in both ether2 and ether3 ?!
Hacking MikroTik is possible

RB750 V6.12 , RBSXT 5HnD V6.12

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Bridging and Hotspot at the same time

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:48 pm

Is Ether2 member of bridge?

If bridge is configured on Ether2 and Ether3, set interface=bridge on HotSpot interface.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:27 pm

You're going to have to be a lot more descriptive of what your goals are and what your setup is in order to receive help. A network diagram would go a long ways towards helping.

Bridging is a way of making a number of interfaces act as one signal layer2 interface via software. Since it's an Ethernet like interface, you can run whatever services you want on the bridge like you would any other routed interface in a RouterBoard. So the simple answer is yes, you can run a hotspot on a bridge across multiple interfaces. The long answer is, based off of the limited information you have given, a more fancy setup may be required and could very well rely on what other network equipment you have installed.

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Don't forget to move IP address from ether1 to bridge. And also look for other places, for example /ip firewall nat - if there isn't a rule with "out-interface=ether1" (should be bridge) etc.
If you are bridging ether1 and ether3 and you move every config from ether1 to bridge - then ether2 should work without any change :).

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks for all of you, I did it. I have pppoe-out on ether1 that's how I access the internet so now I choice bridge for pppoe-out interface instead of ether1 and everything works fine now, for more details here's my own diagram:

pppoe-out on bridge interface and this give internet access to ether2 ( hotspot )

ether1 is bridged to ether3 ( no hotspot )

:lol:
Hacking MikroTik is possible

RB750 V6.12 , RBSXT 5HnD V6.12