Community discussions

MikroTik App

electravis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mikrotik aps keep droping offline

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:12 pm

OK so here is a new one for me. I have two mikrotik aps 411u connected to a mikrotik 493ah router. The aps are working fine however after being seen by the router for several minutes they go offline according to the router example: can no longer ping to them, or winbox into them. Yet I can still browse from these aps. I delete the AP Ip out of the host list and then they are seen again by the router for x amount of minutes. If I set them to a static binding. They first show up as a static binding go offline delete them from the host list and then come back in but without the static binding. I have compared the aps to others in the field that do not show this problem,and they have the same config. I believe it to be something in the router config but am lost. Everything looks to be the same on this router as any other I use.

Thanks,

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik aps keep droping offline

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 pm

That is because the access points themselves do ever actually pass or need to pass any traffic. If they are acting as an access point, that means they are a layer2 device, they just forward on what they are getting from the client. The hotspot will automatically time "clients" out of it's list if it doesn't see any traffic coming from them, this is expected and normal behavior. Like you said, it never stops someone from getting online so it's not really an issue.

If it's a concern set up a ip-binding for each of the APs. You can get the access points to actively pass traffic over the network every so often with a script, or have them send their system logs somewhere for example. That will keep them current in the ARP table, and the hotspot.