Community discussions

Cri
just joined
Topic Author

two network connection on one port?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 am

I'm a small WISP and recently purchased a 5Mbps Linear Ethernet connection with the local telco. (Fiber to the building handed off to me with cat5) I plugged in my Tik 450G router and to my surprise, it obtained an address from the Telco. Surprised at this, I ran a speedtest and I'm pulling 10Meg! WTF? I thought!!!

I considered just leaving the 450G using the DHCP settings it had pulled from my telco but I decided I'd try my public static IP's (a slash 30) I purchased from my ISP. Those settings work as well. So, for the last two months I've left it alone and I'm still using my 5Meg service that I'm paying for.

But, now, I'm going to be needing to upgrade my backbone ... I'm outgrowing 5Meg pretty quickly. I was wondering if it is possible to configure eth1 to use my legitimate static IP that I'm paying for, AND use the 10Meg DHCP connection that it pulls, simultaneously so I can get a good 15Meg of bandwidth for a while so I dont have to upgrade quite so soon?? I want to use it to tide me over for a while so I'm not losing money paying for an upgraded 10-20 Meg backbone that is too big and pricey for what I actually need.

Thanks

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Re: two network connection on one port?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:39 am

I'm a small WISP and recently purchased a 5Mbps Linear Ethernet connection with the local telco. (Fiber to the building handed off to me with cat5) I plugged in my Tik 450G router and to my surprise, it obtained an address from the Telco. Surprised at this, I ran a speedtest and I'm pulling 10Meg! WTF? I thought!!!

I considered just leaving the 450G using the DHCP settings it had pulled from my telco but I decided I'd try my public static IP's (a slash 30) I purchased from my ISP. Those settings work as well. So, for the last two months I've left it alone and I'm still using my 5Meg service that I'm paying for.

But, now, I'm going to be needing to upgrade my backbone ... I'm outgrowing 5Meg pretty quickly. I was wondering if it is possible to configure eth1 to use my legitimate static IP that I'm paying for, AND use the 10Meg DHCP connection that it pulls, simultaneously so I can get a good 15Meg of bandwidth for a while so I dont have to upgrade quite so soon?? I want to use it to tide me over for a while so I'm not losing money paying for an upgraded 10-20 Meg backbone that is too big and pricey for what I actually need.

Thanks
Yes, it is possible :). Though it doesn't sound legal or moral :>.

Cri
just joined
Topic Author

Re: two network connection on one port?

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:38 am

Yes, it is possible :). Though it doesn't sound legal or moral :>.
I'm just looking for some options ... Thanks