MikroTik App

nuskope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Trunking and Redundant links

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:06 am

Hi all.

We have recently undertaken a massive network upgrade and thus have some spare equipment laying around, and some decommissioned links that are skill in place, i would like to make them active acting as redundancy/extra capacity.

Note: the entire network is Layer 2 and must remain so for the PPPOE/LNS

Lets start with a Diagram to help explain myself:

JOB1
currently L1 is active, and L2 is a maintenance link that turns on via a IP/PING power box that detects if the main link is down and turns on power to the backup. this has worked for 2/4 outages so I'd like to configure a better solution. From reading the forums i think i have worked out that by doing some 'Ethernet Bonding' on my NOC7-500 and the RB816 i can achieve a permanent connection, However as one link is 10* more powerful than the other (the DW) how will this react with bonding. is there a way i can set traffic priority to take the preffurred link?

JOB2
Sites A B C are all 'interconnected' however link L5 is powered off. (as it is a layer2 network, a loop is bad without correctly setting it up)
what i want to know is can i keep my Layer 2 network in place, but setup via the RB493G's and the RB816 some form of 'Ethernet Bonding' or another method of interconnecting the links. this will give us more redundancy and increased capasity to the sites.

blake

Re: Trunking and Redundant links

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:42 am

You need Spanning Tree Protocol.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bridge

Assuming your Ethernet ports are all members of a bridge on the MT's, then you could do something like this:
## MikroNOC ##
/interface bridge
set 0 protocol-mode=rstp priority=0

## Router A ##
/interface bridge
set 0 protocol-mode=rstp priority=4096

# Assuming L1 is ether1 / ID # 0, L2 is ether2 / ID # 1
/interface bridge port
set 1 path-cost=30

## Routers B & C ##
/interface bridge
set 0 protocol-mode=rstp

# Assuming links to L5 are on ether2 / ID # 1
/interface bridge port
set 1 path-cost=100
That should let you turn on all of those links, and have spanning tree block the loops. Traffic from Router A to the MikroNOC will flow over the DragonWave. Traffic from B & C will flow over their direct links to A, and use the connections between one another as a backup.

I haven't tested this, so you may want to try it in a lab before implementing in production.

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Trunking and Redundant links

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Hello, It worked? I have to double a link with same subnet on each side.