MikroTik App

mktwifi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Total Queue isn't equal of TX/RX rate ethernet

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:49 am

Dear Guys!
I have Mikrotik router with one port linked to public internet connection and other three ports linked to my networks.
On this router I have configured traffic shaping (not transparent) with mangle rules with packet-mark, and queue-tree.
All is working but I don't understand why Avg Rate of queue "total down" is not equal of RX Rate of public internet ethernet port and why Avg Rate of queue "total up" is not equal of TX Rate of public internet ethernet port.

You could see attachment for more details

Thank you in advance for help

Best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Total Queue isn't equal of TX/RX rate ethernet

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:15 pm

look at packet rates - if they are equal, then it's probably ethernet overhead (14 bytes per packet)

mktwifi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks chupaka.
No, packet rate isn't equal. So which is problem?

Thanks

best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:29 pm

try to add one more queue with parent=global-in and routing-mark=no-mark... =)

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 pm

also, what is ether6?

don't you use WebProxy?

mktwifi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Sorry, but I don't unerstand "try to add one more queue with parent=global-in and routing-mark=no-mark...".

ether6 is interface direct connect to my xDSL router and I don't use web proxy and NAT

Queue Avg rate of queue with packet-marks set is OK and it is equal to statistics rate of mangle rule, so I think taht problem is on queues that haven't packet-marks set: is it possible?

Thanks

Best regards

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:24 pm

if you add a queue with parent=global-in and routing-mark=no-mark, it will catch any unmarked packets - probably, you forgot to mark something... =)

marioclep
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Sorry, but I don't unerstand "try to add one more queue with parent=global-in and routing-mark=no-mark...".

ether6 is interface direct connect to my xDSL router and I don't use web proxy and NAT

Queue Avg rate of queue with packet-marks set is OK and it is equal to statistics rate of mangle rule, so I think taht problem is on queues that haven't packet-marks set: is it possible?

Thanks

Best regards
Mangle statistics will show you RealTime traffic, but Queue Tree statistics show an average.

Regards

mktwifi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:21 am

Hi!
I have just tried to add queue with parent global-in, but also with parent global-out, and no-mark. Avg-rate is 0, so mangle-rules for mark packets are OK, and problem is on queue...

I check also, on statistics of total_queue and public ether, packets un bytes and they are different when instead I think they were equal: why?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

zervan

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 pm

I've had similar situation because of UDP traffic. Somebody was sending UDP traffic (probably a video, maybe video-phone) from my network with data rate bigger than it was allowed by my QoS limit. UDP doesn't have flow control like TCP (or TCP window) and works like "best effort" to send - it means that packet are simply dropped if they are not deliverable and sender is not knowing about that, so he will not lower transmission speed. Queue is counting all data, because router has received them but are not on ethernet interface because they were not sent.

If it is possible, try to disable UDP for a while and see if this is the reason.

mktwifi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:40 am

In my situation problem is different: ethernet packets and rate are bigger than total_queue packets and rate (see last image) and so I would know why.

Anyone could help me?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

zervan

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 am

In my situation problem is different: ethernet packets and rate are bigger than total_queue packets and rate (see last image) and so I would know why.
Oh, sorry, I thought it is contrariwise.

I had some strange traffic on my WAN port once. It was nearly constant 2 Mbps and was there also when there was no traffic on LAN. So there was more traffic on WAN interface than on LAN interface (and Queues). What about you? You have smaller traffic on Queues than on WAN interface. But is a traffic on LAN interface also smaller than on WAN interface? If it is so, check WAN connections. I've had disconnected my LAN (besides me), started tool "torch" and found some other Mikrotik on WAN interface that was badly configured and was still sending me data - it was other customer of my internet provider.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 am

Anyone could help me?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

In other words - Not all packets that your router receives are getting to the queues. It is normal - customer network have lots of rubbish traffic that is received, but don't get pass Ethernet also firewall might have some effect with all the drop rules.

mktwifi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:54 am

I have smaller traffic on queue than on WAN interface (eth6), instead traffic on WAN interface is equal of traffic on LAN interface... so for me there is some problem on queue because also mangle traffic is equal of WAN and LAN traffic.

Best regards

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:12 am

"Avg" means "Average" not current.

mktwifi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi guys!
And so why is there this big difference from queue average rate and ethernet or mangle rate?
In this moment (see image below) queue average rate is 66,6 Mb and current rate (ethernet and mangle) is about 80 Mbps.
On queue tree I set max limit of download queue at 66 Mbps, and so I think to see only 66 Mbps on ethernet RX rate and not 80 Mbps...

For me there is some problem on queue tree, or could you explain me why there is this difference?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

mktwifi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi guys!
Sorry for delay...but I found my problem: some of my network address weren't on address-list of firewall and so their traffic didn't mark and didn't went through queue.
So there was my problem on configuration of my traffic shape router.

Sorry!

Best regards!