MikroTik App

sewlist
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Radius backup accounting

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 pm

I have setup radius backup on all my towers using freeradius

I have setup mysql replication between master and slave and vice versa so all accounting info is up2date always, so its a complete hot backup in case of failure, however we notices that the NAS(mikrotik) is sending account info to both radius's thus causing duplicate traffic accounting usage, so when a guy in fact did 1gb, radius will show 2gb in the databases due to the replication

with accounting-backup=no or yes, doesnt appear to work

anyone doing this kinda setup

Thanks

S

Rockyboa
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Radius backup accounting

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Same issue here, so if an account is not recognized in the on-site radius, our central radius is also getting this request, even if we set-ip up has an accouning backup. We are getting thousand of request from all of our sites into our central radius. Is this normal behaviour or should I filled a bug report?

Router OS version 5.7

Thank you

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:57 pm

We use something different - but it works for us :-)

We have Usermanager on a central server, we export a copy of the database and run a backup usermanager on each hotspot as well. I place both servers's IPs into the Radius client on the MT Hotspot. I put the central server as the first entry with a 3 second timeout, local copy as the second entry.

In this way, if the central server dies, it falls back to the local copy, which is usually no more than about 15 minutes old. It's not perfect, but it allows existing customers to connect without them even knowing the central server has fallen over.

It has flaws, in that while the central server is down, no new customers can create an account and also existing customers cannot top up their credit, also we lose any usage data for when the central server is down as it will now connect to and update the local copy, which will eventually get overwritten with old data once the main server is back up....

But then, this is a cheap and dirty fix to keep the existing customers online long enough for us to figure out why the central server has died, without them knowing anything has gone wrong. Nothing more than that.

It's worked really well for us for the last few years and we've had at least three or four outages of the central server.
Ron Touw - Mikrotik Certified Trainer
LinITX.com - MultiThread Consultants
Get your MikroTik RBs and Training: http://linitx.com/category/166
Largest Official UK MikroTik Distributor

natanielklug
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Hello all,

Was there any news on this problem? I am trying to run a HA over my Radius in Mikrotik (running as a PPPoE NAS) but it's sending duplicate accouting to my Radius Server and it's recording duplicate entries in my radacct table. I am trying to change queries inside Radius but it's a hard work.

If only "Accounting Backup" worked in Mikrotik the problem would be solved.

leemans
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:47 pm

@Nest,
How did you organize the backup?
What did you copy? UM profiles? UM dbase? ..etc..
How often did you synchronize the files and how?
How do you import them on the second radius server?
Thanks for the info.