Community discussions

MikroTik App

johnsilver
Topic Author

One interface split...

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi. Can somebody help me with little advise in RB configuration? I have to do such network configuration, but i'm new to Mikrotik. I'm little confused. My thinking is to create VLANs for each traffic flow:
1) create VLAN on ether1 with VLAN ID 1 (vlan_a) - light blue traffic
2) create VLAN on ether1 with VLAN ID 2 (vlan_b) - red traffic
3) create bridge (bridge_a), ports vlan_a, ether2, ether5
4) create bridge (bridge_b), ports vlan_b, ether3, ether4
Is this correct?
Which additional rules are needed for this configuration?
How to assign valid ip-addresses?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: One interface split...

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Rather than ask a question without any background information on how to implement a specific solution (I don't see how VLANs help with your diagram in any way whatsoever) it would be far more helpful if you posted a lot of details on what you're trying to achieve (the final design) and what equipment you have available.

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

johnsilver
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:27 pm

i have one interface with two ips, i need to split it, traffic flow on diagram

ps. a lot of details: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54424

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:30 pm

My general recommendation would be to buy a VLAN capable switch and use a router on a stick approach (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/Router-On-A-Stick) to route traffic between networks and use the firewall to drop whatever you want to drop.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

johnsilver
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:01 pm

traffic from ether1 is untagged and comes from different subnets, i'm really needed this switch?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Switches are a heck of a lot better at bridging traffic than routers are. Switches are made to bridge traffic. Routers are made to route traffic. Look at the performance of boards on routerboard.com - you'll see that they can route far more traffic than they can bridge. Most people expect bridged networks to perform at wire speed. That is only true when it's truly switched traffic - once you bridge in software all bets are off.