Community discussions

MikroTik App

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

PCQ and high (flooding) packet rate

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 pm

we're using v5.4 for now, and sometimes our PCQ queue shows erratic behaviour. that's my queue type:
add kind=pcq name=unlim-35-upload pcq-classifier=src-address \
    pcq-rate=512k pcq-limit=256 pcq-total-limit=65536
and here's normal queue work:
Clipboard00.gif
sometimes (I think, some computers are flooding with big number of packets) number of queued packets extremely increases:
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard02.gif
during this time, every user that passes the queue has high RTT and packet loss, even with very low traffic

is it known problem of 5.4, were there any fixes regarding PCQ in later versions?..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CCDKP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: PCQ and high (flooding) packet rate

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:39 pm

we're using v5.4 for now, and sometimes our PCQ queue shows erratic behaviour. that's my queue type:
add kind=pcq name=unlim-35-upload pcq-classifier=src-address \
    pcq-rate=512k pcq-limit=256 pcq-total-limit=65536
I'll preface this by saying I'm far from a PCQ expert, but my initial thought would be your queue is WAY too large. During your trouble times, you have approximately 15k or 18k packets queued up, but you specifically allow for up to 64k packets in the queue before discarding. *Technically* your queue appears to be working as programmed.

Intuitively, we would think that a bigger buffer is always better. Packet loss is the enemy, so the more data we can queue up, instead of dropping, the better, right? Unfortunately TCP doesn't work that way.

Large queue lengths have a very adverse effect on latency and overall throughput. TCP has built-in congestion-avoidance mechanisms which are designed with the understanding that all routers along the way simply drop packets when overloaded. If you buffer everything instead of dropping, TCP keeps sending data and never backs off, causing more congestion. in your screenshots you had as much as 2MB worth of data queued up. I'm not sure what your link-speed is, but 2MB in queue for a router seems like a lot.

If you figure you have 2MB worth of packets queued up, and a 10Mbit/s line, then it would take over 1600ms to clear the queue. That means the last packet in that queue has a 1600ms delay added to it before you send it. Now imagine if every router along the way was doing the same thing? Everyone adds another 10-20ms of delay due to excessive queue-length, and pretty soon the delay is enough to cause the TCP packets to time out.

This problem is collectively known as Buffer Bloat. Jim Getty has done a very nice job of documenting the effects of it on his blog:
http://gettys.wordpress.com/bufferbloat-faq/

The Mikrotik wiki also has some slides that support this idea: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue_Size When the queue is unlimited, most of the packets end up delayed.

In the systems I have worked with, I typically pick a pcq-limit of around 20-75 (20 works fine for smaller offices / homes, 75 for a lot of "bursty" traffic) then a PCQ-total-limit of PCQ-limit*max users*80% (queue can hold 80% of the maximum expected users all at max PCQ-limit). I usually try to keep PCQ-total-limit under 10000 to avoid the bufferbloat problem. Janis talks a bit about this in his QoS presentation (Page 26 & 27): http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US08/janism.pdf

As I said before, I'm not incredibly familiar with the finer workings of PCQ, nor do I have much carrier-level QoS experience, but this would be my best educated guess. Turn down your PCQ-limit and PCQ-total-limit and the latency and timeout issues should clear up. Best of luck.

--CC_DKP

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks for the nice post, I'll have to study Buffer Bloat deeper, a bit later...

as for my problem, PCQ is designed to divide bandwidth equally (according to its description), so it should work like many PFIFO queues of 'limit' size. during trouble times, I see that subqueues with almost no traffic are... kind of 'congested'?.. and other PCQ queues works normally. also, the number of queued packets increased from 15000 to 18000 just in real time, in about 15-20 seconds. I have only two screenshots, but in reality it was increasing, increasing, increasing...

for me, it looks like a bug in PCQ implementation, because I don't believe that all users together began to flood packets. btw, I have Max-Limit set to 40M for that queue, so even 2MiB of queued data should not be a problem

have just make one test with ROS v5.6:
/queue type
add kind=pcq name=pcq-upload pcq-classifier=src-address pcq-rate=128k pcq-limit=50 pcq-total-limit=200
/queue tree
add name=queue1 packet-mark=flood-pkt parent=global-out queue=pcq-upload
then I generate 10000 packets and send them to that queue:
[admin@MikroTik] /queue tree> pr stats 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid 
 0   name="queue1" parent=global-out packet-mark=flood-pkt limit-at=0 rate=0 
     packet-rate=0 queued-bytes=49987 queued-packets=1351 bytes=220927 
     packets=5971 dropped=23253 lends=128 borrows=4492 pcq-queues=1 
as for me, 'queued-packets=1351' is abnormal for 'pcq-total-limit=200'...

MT Guys, should I send this info to support@?..

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:40 pm

huh, first result: 'pcq-limit' and 'pcq-total-limit' are not in packets (as documentation states), but in kilobytes

so, with pcq-limit=50, each computer flooding with TCP SYN packets (with size = 48 bytes without Ethernet header) can create queue of 1041 packets...

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Interesting , after years the problem still occurs for me with v6.30
I have created http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98977 but after investigation i have found that the problem is only with PCQ . I just have few pcq queues but i cannot rid/ignore them .

@Chupaka Did you find any solution or workaround ? Sometimes the routers cpu remains 100%

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:27 pm

@Chupaka Did you find any solution or workaround ? Sometimes the routers cpu remains 100%
knock-knock on the wood, no complains for the last years. but we don't use CCRs for queueing. only x86, only hardcore :)

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Is it possible to provide the server spec and approximate bandwidth/packets ?
Actually i afraid from x86 network adapter bottleneck , IRQ Balancing , blabla....

Maybe i can use your experience to choose an x86 server for QOS .

Thanks a lot

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Actually i afraid from x86 network adapter bottleneck , IRQ Balancing , blabla....

huh, cannot find any signs on the server :(

it's some SuperMicro with 2x1G, 2x10G Intel NICs (we use one 10G with VLANs) and Xeon CPU E5-2609 v2 @ 2.50GHz
in evenings it passes about 2000 Mbps/180kpps with ~55-60% CPU load (queues, nat, ipoe)

gringoZ
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am

huh, cannot find any signs on the server :(

it's some SuperMicro with 2x1G, 2x10G Intel NICs (we use one 10G with VLANs) and Xeon CPU E5-2609 v2 @ 2.50GHz
in evenings it passes about 2000 Mbps/180kpps with ~55-60% CPU load (queues, nat, ipoe)
how many fw/nat and qos rules?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 am

Dozens :) It was three years ago...

gringoZ
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:07 pm

yeap, i know... prehistory ;)

do you use mt x86 with many nat/qos rules?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:34 pm

What do you call "many"? (And why do you need many PCQ rules at all? :) )

I switched off of ISP business, so now I don't own high-throughput routers...