MikroTik App

heleopless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

how can i do this ?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:28 pm

most users users uses internet download manager to download
is there a way to limit the data rate that this program can use for the all users?

or

is there a way to limit the number of connections that the program use for every user ?
thanks in advance

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: how can i do this ?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 pm

To do it on a per program based level, you need to do layer7 packet inspection. Something that a MikroTik is very poorly suited for. It's a layer3 device so it has no way of knowing what programs people are using and making adjustments based off of that. If you want to limit it on a per program level, start looking into devices that do layer7 deep packet inspection and be prepared to shell out a lot of money.

You can see if a connection exceeds a bandwidth limit and start to treat the user differently.
You can see if a connection has exceeded a set number of bytes and then treat the user differently.
You can also play around with PCQ to apply rate limits on a per user or per connection basis.
You can set up a TCP connection limit on a per user basis, or packet rate limit on a per user basis.

What combination and how it all works together is up to you. Except for the connection limit, these are very involved subjects and not easily covered in a couple of forum posts. It would be best to read up on queues and QoS and then ask questions about what you specifically don't understand.

heleopless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:10 pm

ok i see
another question please
by using layer 7 how could i catch all online videos , streaming , etc
all packets that need flash player to work

the second
how to limit the data rate of video chat of yahoo

thanks alot

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Firewall/L7

Extremely CPU intensive and not recommended for classifying everything, also ANY form of encryption going on makes it so it won't match layer7 filters.

As far as applying rate limits, read up on QoS and come back with specific questions about specific setups that you have tried and the results you are seeing.