Community discussions

MikroTik App

skysurfer
just joined
Topic Author

Can't initiate 3G ppp session after upgrade to 5.7

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:53 am

Hello, received my RB433UAH yesterday and dove right in, so many cool new things to learn.

I setup a new ppp-client on version 4.17. I am using a Franklin U600 USB modem which is provisioned by Sprint. While not on the official supported hardware list on the wiki, it worked great. The miniPCI-e version of this modem is supported, so perhaps there were enough similarities.

Then I upgraded to version 5.7, and could no longer dial out with the ppp-client using this modem. In the log files, I received messages similar to the following which just repeated over and over indefinitely:

+++
ATH
+++
ATH

I tried rebooting, unplugging the modem and re-inserting it while powered up, booting without the ppp-client enabled then enabling it manually, resetting the configuration and building up the ppp settings from scratch, nothing worked. So I downgraded back to 4.17 and voila, I'm back in business.

My desire is to use this modem as a failover internet gateway in my house, using my cable modem as the primary.

Any ideas why this modem would work in a lower revision of routeros but not the latest version?

Thank you for any insights.

-Dan
Auburn, Wa

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can't initiate 3G ppp session after upgrade to 5.7

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Hello, received my RB433UAH yesterday and dove right in, so many cool new things to learn.

I setup a new ppp-client on version 4.17. I am using a Franklin U600 USB modem which is provisioned by Sprint. While not on the official supported hardware list on the wiki, it worked great. The miniPCI-e version of this modem is supported, so perhaps there were enough similarities.

Then I upgraded to version 5.7, and could no longer dial out with the ppp-client using this modem. In the log files, I received messages similar to the following which just repeated over and over indefinitely:

+++
ATH
+++
ATH

I tried rebooting, unplugging the modem and re-inserting it while powered up, booting without the ppp-client enabled then enabling it manually, resetting the configuration and building up the ppp settings from scratch, nothing worked. So I downgraded back to 4.17 and voila, I'm back in business.

My desire is to use this modem as a failover internet gateway in my house, using my cable modem as the primary.

Any ideas why this modem would work in a lower revision of routeros but not the latest version?

Thank you for any insights.

-Dan
Auburn, Wa
You will get a better answer for this particular question by writing to support@mikrotik.com. Only they know what has really changed in that area between 4 and 5... especially since that modem is not officially supported, but worked in 4... they can probably get it working again in a future version.

skysurfer
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks, will do!

:)

hedele

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:18 am

Maybe you will have to play around with the data channel number.
For example, I noticed that ZTE 3G Modems used to spawn 3 channels in ROS 4.x (0,1,2),
but in ROS 5.x there are now 4 channels with those modems (0,1,2,3).

skysurfer
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:41 am

Just an update to this issue. Support suggested the same thing as hedele, however after trying all the data and info channels, I was unable to get this modem to dial out under routerOS 5.7. I swapped it for a Sierra 595U and it worked immediately, so that's the modem I'm sticking with for the time being.

hedele

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:29 am

Careful - if you only once get the wrong values for data channel, you will need to unpower and repower the routerboard,
in order to make the 3G Modem work again. That makes for some annoying testing, but it should work out...
However, is you found a new modem which just works, that is fine as well :)