Community discussions

MikroTik App

DirectWireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Contention Free Polling support

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:43 pm

I was reading about a AP mode that some wireless chipsets support called PCF (Polling Coordination Function). It describes a mode that is a polling contention free mode that only some chipsets support (Atheros but not Prism). It sounds to me like a good physical layer solution for WISPs to eliminate hidden node and increase possible VOIP performance using Mikrotik. It also sounds like it would greatly improve interference against other 802.11b/g systems since it won't wait to transmit.

Any idea if it can be supported in a future release (if it's not already incorporated into NStreme)?

lz1dsb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Contention Free Polling support

Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:39 pm

That's a pretty old post. I'm going through a classic book on wireless "802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition" and I read about this function. I didn't even know that such an option exists. Though the book is old, I don't know what happened with the PCF eventually... It would be interesting if someone could share more details on this...

directconnect
just joined

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm not sure exactly what happened to it I'm the original poster (forgot about this account actually).

Here's some info, it appears it's part of the 802.11e QOS standard. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11e-2005

lz1dsb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm not sure exactly what happened to it  I'm the original poster (forgot about this account actually).

Here's some info,  it appears it's part of the 802.11e QOS standard.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11e-2005
That is interesting. It is interesting that the AP could control the multi access of the different clients. It looks to me pretty much like the Token Ring's token.
I could assume than that it's not being implemented in MikroTik devices :)