Community discussions

MikroTik App

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

USB Dial-up Analog Modem

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Does Mikrotik support USB Dialup Analog modems? I see how to use a serial modem, but I'm talking specifically about USB connected modems (NOT 3G and NOT DB9 SERIAL).

I realize that Mikrotik would use a driver to then access the modems like a serial device, but I am unable to find any type of compatibility list anywhere for these.

Does anyone have experience with working USB modems or know of an official answer?

Thank you.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: USB Dial-up Analog Modem

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:27 pm

In case anyone else has this need in the future:

I contacted mikrotik support and they said it could not be done, no USB modems are supported.

So, I tried it myself with a USB modem and it works GREAT! Absolutely no problems found yet.

I don't know why they would say it isn't possible when it does in fact work, and is such a great feature.

joecoolzxc
just joined

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 pm

I contacted mikrotik support and they said it could not be done, no USB modems are supported.

So, I tried it myself with a USB modem and it works GREAT! Absolutely no problems found yet.

I don't know why they would say it isn't possible when it does in fact work, and is such a great feature.

can you tell me the brand of the dialup modem and maybe where to find it

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:10 am

I use the USR 5637. It's a great modem.

dcs
just joined

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi:
Can you provide a bit more detail on your hardware config and OS?

I'm interested in something like this using a very small form factor and inexpensive box with two eth ports. Preferably, I'd like to have the modem built-in.
Thanks.

joecoolzxc
just joined

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:25 pm

I use the USR 5637. It's a great modem.

Hey i bought one of the USR 5637, i am trying to dialing into the Mikrotik but failing to negoiate is there any special settings, i created a ppp-in server and matching user

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi:
Preferably, I'd like to have the modem built-in.[/i]
There aren't any routerboards with a built-in modem.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey i bought one of the USR 5637, i am trying to dialing into the Mikrotik but failing to negoiate is there any special settings, i created a ppp-in server and matching user
I've never tried dialing IN to the Mikrotik. I use mine to dial OUT of the Mikrotik.