Community discussions

MikroTik App

borodamd
just joined
Topic Author

UDP to TCP stream transfer

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:05 pm

Good Day

I need advice on the transfer of UDP (multicast) packets to TCP port. For example:

I have multicast stream at udp - 224.20.20.80:1234 and need to transfer it to TCP - router_address:any port

Many routers have udp to http proxy what translate address like http://router_address:port/udp/stream_address:port
Mikrotik does not have any alternatives described above?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: UDP to TCP stream transfer

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42 pm

nope, RouterOS does not contain and you cannot install udpxy into it

you may try to use KVM or MetaROUTER for virtual machine with udpxy

borodamd
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Thancks for reply, Chupaka.

But, i think it is no way to setup virtual environment on routerboard base (in my case on RB751U)
The objective was unite all of the tasks of domestic transport in one device.
With other tasks, routerboard perfectly copes, but devices such as media players, TVs, do not understand multicast, but http links are read without problems.

I really hope that in the next routeros versions, this problem will be solved.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:10 pm

MetaROUTER. look for OpenWRT images for MetaROUTER - I think it has udpxy package too

borodamd
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the interesting information.
I read about it. Very interesting idea. Bad that in 751U have only 16 MB of memory.
Tomorrow I will take from work RB450g and will try to install OpenWRT and udpxy on it.
The results I will write in this topic.

sadeghrafie
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks for the interesting information.
I read about it. Very interesting idea. Bad that in 751U have only 16 MB of memory.
Tomorrow I will take from work RB450g and will try to install OpenWRT and udpxy on it.
The results I will write in this topic.
Great!!
I will wait for you and your job :D

borodamd
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:47 pm

It was a failure. I put different versions of openwrt. They either do not have a package udpxy, or udpxy does not work. When I have free time, I'll try to build my own assembly of openwrt. But while I am looking for other solutions of the situation.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 am

751U have only 16 MB of memory.
no, it has 32MB

borodamd
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Normis, my mistake.

I mean, that in my configuration only 16 MB free

sanya
just joined

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Does someone have positive experience implementing udpxy in Metarouter/OpenWRT? I spent 2 days with RB751U with no success. Tried this image. I was able to configure virtual machine with 11MB RAM configured for it (the most stable result) and install udpxy inside. However there are still a lot of issues:
- after power on main box, virtual machine comes up without normal disk contents (for example, /etc/config folder is empty); going into virtual machine console and proceeding with reboot helps however it doesn't seem to be a useful scenario;
- RB hangs when trying to reboot itself (seems that it has issues with shutting down virtual machine);
- OpenWRT often fails with different errors having lack of resources as a root cause (out of memory, segmentation fault, some kind of "bus" error, etc.)

If someone have positive experience with udpxy in metarouter, I would appreciate any recommendations to workaround the absence of udpxy in RouterOS.

However, it will be nice to have udpxy integrated in RouterOS. This feature is really useful for wireless routing equipment because transmitting multicast over WiFi is always a bad idea based on the technical implementation details: you will never have useful transmission rate for multicast because it sends packets without acknoledge and therefore uses the lowest possible rate to assure packets delivery. The more you increase base rate for multicast, the more packets you lose which is not suitable for IPTV. Proxying multicast to unicast will provide most possible rate without packet loss. Based on my experience with dd-wrt, udpxy is stable and requires low resources (configurable RAM buffer and about 2% of 350MHz Broadcom CPU when proxying 5 Mbps multicast stream).

So I hope that udpxy will be considered to be integrated into RouterOS.

Thanks anyway (either for recommendations about udxpy in Metarouter or for announce of udxpy in RouterOS :) )

reverged
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:24 am

There may be several issues working against you here.

Metarouter is not very stable - not that I can tell - in any RB.
Someone correct me if they have a stable metarouter doing anything useful.
Just check out the virtualization section and you will feel the pain. Well, more pain.
I was very disappointed when I first tried it on a 450G.

Also, the 751 seems to have other issues that crop up with high wireless traffic.
Several threads here talk about 751 problems.

I'd suggest getting this to work on a native OpenWRT platform before trying metarouter.