Community discussions

MikroTik App

aasidev
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik and monitoring (Nagios, Cacti and so on)

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:38 am

Hi,
I would setup a system for monitoring a network with Mikrotik (various ROS version, from 2.9 to 5) and Linux devices. I won't setup a Win host on the network and I haven't x server on linux host, so I can't use TheDude.

I would use one among Cacti and Nagios, I see they have great tool.

My goal are
1) Monitor common metrics on host (reachability, uptime, cpu load, memory, interface status, interface aggregate data)
2) Create a performance graph (basically for interfaces, current usage and aggregate data transfer)
3) Create a "map" of the network, in particular a wheather map, so I can see a quick status of the network

Reading some docs I think the best is to use Nagios with check_mk (for manage configuration), pnp4nagios (for graph) and NagVis (for map), has anyone experienced a setup of these tools?

Which MIB file I have to use in order to get OID of different RouterOS Version?

Any hint would be appreciated

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Mikrotik and monitoring (Nagios, Cacti and so on)

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:13 pm

We use nagios to check basic stuff like CPU to make sure we havent hit some bug that makes CPU max out at 100% all the time.

You can find the MIB file here http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mikrotik+mib

You can also append most print commands in the terminal with oid and it will tell you the OID that particular value lives at.

markoz
just joined

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Hello,

did you find a solution for monitoring bandwidth (current, history using graph)?

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Marko

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:17 pm

Hello,

did you find a solution for monitoring bandwidth (current, history using graph)?

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Marko
There are a TON of solutions out there, so it is really up to you and how much time, energy, and money you want to invest in a monitoring solution. They are all "good choices", but only you can determine what will be best for you, especially with not really giving any guidance as to what you are looking for past graphing.
-There are several free options, but will require a lot of heavy lifting on your part: Nagios, Cacti, Icinga, etc.
-There are a lot of paid for options that are easier to use, but will cost you a fair amount of money: Intermapper, What's UP Gold, etc.
-MikroTik also has the DUDE, I have limited experiance with it, but it is free. But it is currently very much under development since it laid dormant for many years, and is now being brought back. So if you go with this option expect bugs for a while yet.

I am currently using Cacti, and am mostly happy with it. Once the DUDE is in a more polished state I will probably give that a go and see if it fits my needs better.