Community discussions

MikroTik App

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Interface marked as invalid - RB1200, ROS5.7

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Got an interesting problem with a RB1200. Twice it has stopped responding to TCP/UDP traffic - to all intents and purposes it has just hung.

It happened again today, but luckily I got to it before somebody simply pulled the plug. I found I could mac-telnet into it, but all IP routing was up the spout.

What I found was that one of the interfaces had suddenly been marked as 'unknown':

In the IP address list:
Capture2_clean.PNG
In the routing table:
Capture1_clean.PNG
I manually set the interfaces on the IP addresses, they come back OK, but the routes still show as unknown. Disabling and re-enabling the IP addresses (and therefore, one would hope), the routes didn't resolve this - the only way I got the box up and running again was to reboot it.

The only thing I can think of is that the interface names had been edited - the one which turned 'unknown' was something like 'ether10 - link to buildings a b and c'. I do remember reading something a couple of years (or more) ago about long interface names and/or spaces in interface names causing problems. I have renamed the interfaces back to just 'ether10' and the like and put the description into the comments.

Anybody any ideas why/how an interface can suddenly turn '(unknown)'?

Nicholas.

RB1200, ROS 5.7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Interface marked as invalid - RB1200, ROS5.7

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 am

In ROS v5.7 there is a know issue, where bridge could crash and appear as "unknown" interface. This bug is fixed in ROS v5.8.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Re: Interface marked as invalid - RB1200, ROS5.7

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:28 am

In ROS v5.7 there is a know issue, where bridge could crash and appear as "unknown" interface. This bug is fixed in ROS v5.8.
Thank you, but unfortunately in this case it wasn't a bridge...