Community discussions

MikroTik App

piontec
just joined
Topic Author

Feature request: openvpn topology subnet mode

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi,
Openvpn supports a normal broadcast subnet mode "topology subnet". This mode has great advantage over p2p, as it is possible to run multicast applications (OSPF for starters) on that network.

Please consider updating openvpn version and include support for 'subnet' topology.

maloner
just joined

Re: Feature request: openvpn topology subnet mode

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:02 am

Hi there,

I would like to echo the request for support of

topology subnet

This is particularly important if you are handing out expensive public IP's - as you only use single IP rather than 4 (/30).

The topology subnet feature was introduced in OpenVPN 2.1. Without this feature, each client would be handed out a miniature /30 network, which means that each client would use up to four public IP addresses. This made the deployment of handing out public IP addresses to VPN clients very expensive.

Thanks

herschel
just joined

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:53 pm

I am echoing this request because I'd very much like to see it but it's preety clear that MikroTik doesn't much care about OpenVPN and has no intention of fixing the way it is implemented no matter how many customers complain about it.

ghero
just joined

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi,

Can we get any feedback on this topic?

Thanks..

VipITBE
just joined

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:45 pm

topology subnet is working for me, however, when connection with openvpn for windows to my linux openvpn server, I cannot contact the mikrotik clients connecting to that same openvpn server.
from linux or from the server itself, the mikrotik clients and subnets are reachable, so this is something strange between windows clients and mikrotik clients