Community discussions

citrusfizz
just joined
Topic Author

Slow RDP performance over IPSEC

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Hello, first of all i just wanted to say thanks for this great software/hardware.

I got my RB750 yesterday and setup my ipsec connection to my work. took a bit to figure out but i got it with some old guides i found online.
My gripe is that RDP performance is pretty slow over the routerOS ipsec tunnel. when i connect to the same computer straight to its WAN IP it is just fine.
I ditched my sonicwall (some really old version) for this RB750 running V5.8, the sonicwall did not have this poor RDP performance issue.
i should maybe say that the office gateway is a PIX515E running the latest IOS version.

Any ideas/tweaks i can do to get the RDP performance better? I work from home, so this is pretty important :)

Thanks

citrusfizz
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Slow RDP performance over IPSEC

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:45 pm

I have tried adjusting my MTU settings on the inside/outside interface. that didn't seem to help any.
i also have this issue with my hardware voip phone and connecting to the asterisk server at work over ipsec. seems to sporadically connect/disconnect.

there has got to be some setting i need to adjust, logmein to a computer at work is better than RDP.. that had never been the case.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Instead of just adjusting the MTU also force the MSS to be small enough to fit into the packets that now also have an IPsec header. See the FAQ for details on how to:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Ro ... _Questions

I didn't do the math for this but 1360 bytes should be a good number for MSS when IPsec is in place.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

citrusfizz
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:43 am

This didn't help anything

through out the day i am noticing my vpn connections dying and not coming back up. i either have to reset the router or kill the ipsec connections..

i have 3 ipsec connections to 3 different cisco devices. they all eventually give out (even tho i have active data being transfered)

open to any ideas..

citrusfizz
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Can i downgrade my version or something?
this is just simply not acceptable. my IPSEC connections go down frequently and i need to go into winbox to kill the connections.

theprism

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Hello,

Can someone tell me where exactly I should change the MTU and MRU (client/server, which interface etc.) and which values are the best for my connection?
I just have 10% of my Internet speed only through the L2TP/Ipsec connection (clean IPSEC is the same). Clean L2TP goes up to 4.5Mbps which is what I need through IPSEC too.
There's no significant load on CPUs ~5-40%.

Mikrotik Server's connection:
Internet - ADSL, with PPPoE through Ether1.
VPN - L2TP with Ipsec

1. Mikrotik LAN-to-LAN connection:
Internet - Ethernet on Ether1.
VPN - L2TP with Ipsec

2. Windows 7 Roadwarrior connection:
Internet - Ethernet or WiFi.
VPN - L2TP with Ipsec

Thank you,
T.P.