Community discussions

MikroTik App

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Feature request: report wrong package type on update

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:43 pm

As it may sound funny, but I found myself in several occasions stumbled because Mikrotik upgrade does not go. Mikrotik does not report anything, jsut restarts staying at the same version.

After lots of messing aroud I finally realize that I am using upgrade package for wrong platform.

It would be nice if Mikrotik would notify that wrong platform packages are found before it reboots avoiding update.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:15 am

I'm pretty sure it says in the logs that it was the wrong package type. Did you check the logs after a botched upgrade?

Until you reboot it's just files like any other to the router, so it can't know until you've rebooted.

Though it might be nice to have a new "system package verify-files" command you run manually before rebooting that could figure out package type and could also run file verification so you know the file isn't broken.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Feature request: report wrong package type on update

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:21 am

Nope, I could not check in log as it dislays lots of information and scrolls out fast. Also I think, this occasion issue strongly candidate for warning in console so it is easily visible and obvious.

And I second your idea of being able to check validity of packages before upgrade as I also had several situations where some packages were not uploaded correctly through Winbox drag&drop. Hopefully, I noticed that before rebooting so I was able to fix it.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:54 am

Updating happens outside of RouterOS. When the router is running there are just files in the file system. When the router reboots right after the boot loader the router checks for those files and tries to install them, and them boots into the OS.

You could take a lab unit and figure out what topics the upgrade stuff gets logged to and them shift that into a special log action so your other logs don't overwhelm it. Though in my opinion if your log buffer is filling up that quick you're either logging too much or there's something seriously wrong. What's the point of an internal log buffer that fills up so quick you can't even check on it? This might make sense if you're logging to an external server where you can easily filter, but in memory where stuff scrolls off it makes logging pointless.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:25 pm

As it may sound funny, but I found myself in several occasions stumbled because Mikrotik upgrade does not go. Mikrotik does not report anything, jsut restarts staying at the same version.

After lots of messing aroud I finally realize that I am using upgrade package for wrong platform.

It would be nice if Mikrotik would notify that wrong platform packages are found before it reboots avoiding update.
it does report wrong package type. you have too many logs, like fewi said. the only time when the package stays there, and log is empty, if you put the files into a subfolder, where upgrader doesn't see them.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Well, it would be better if it shows message on console as that is obvious place and hard to miss. And I guess note is important enough to show there.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 pm

for somebody else, some different log is more important. this is why RouterOS is fully customizable. decide which log type this is, and configure a different action

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:22 pm

if you are using auto-update feature, then you upload files to the router where they are redistributed to other routers. These other routers can be from other architecture. As result of your suggestion, if you use this system you would get a lot of warnings on every reboot that there are wrong packets available.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:11 pm

I find it better than if I upload wrong package, it gets deleted but router is not updated and I have no clue what happened.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:00 am

I find it better than if I upload wrong package, it gets deleted but router is not updated and I have no clue what happened.
nothing ever gets deleted! where are you getting this information?

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:35 am

I've done upgrades numerous times and yes, upgrade packages get deleted, even if they are wrong type. Sometimes it misses and does not delete all but leaves one or two files.

Look, I am not talking about this because I am bored, but because this is a real issue. I see no reason why it is so hard for you to put simle sigle line notice in console when upgrade procedure finds wrong type package and aborts upgrade.

But, ok that is a Mikrotik way we saw numerous times before.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 am

I've done upgrades numerous times and yes, upgrade packages get deleted, even if they are wrong type. Sometimes it misses and does not delete all but leaves one or two files.

Look, I am not talking about this because I am bored, but because this is a real issue. I see no reason why it is so hard for you to put simle sigle line notice in console when upgrade procedure finds wrong type package and aborts upgrade.

But, ok that is a Mikrotik way we saw numerous times before.
I just tested, and you are not correct on this:
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:47 am

OK, I lie. It's not that it happened to me two days ago. I just imagine.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:53 am

OK, I lie. It's not that it happened to me two days ago. I just imagine.
Please do a test, and post full logs and file print.